Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1997 Saturn Power Windows Issues

Posted by mcavicchio (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 3, 07 at 8:00

I have a driver's side power window and power sunroof which don't open and close all the time. I have tried cleaning the contacts inside the sunroof switch, using compressed air to clean the driver's window switches, and used contact cleaner on both. I have throughly cleaned with windows. Has anyone had similar problems and how much would it cost to have the switches replaced? One caveat to it all is that when the driver's side window doesn't go down after lifting the switch, when I shut the car off, open the door, and then close it hard, the window "releases" and drops down!! Go figure! With the power sunroof, it's more of a challenge--when it does respond to pressing the switch, it only opens a little and then gets stopped--the "tracks" on it have been thoroughly cleaned and provided with new grease by using WD-40 spray, so I know it's not from "caked" old grease stopping it. But to get it to close, the flat button must be pressed in just the right way...which either tells me that the contacts are worn out in the switch or I need a new switch entirely. But if anyone has had these two windows problems I'd like to know realistically how much it cost to have the switches replaced, because it seems very costly for labor to access the center control panel switches , plus the costs of the switches themselves(one for the driver's side window, one for the power sunroof)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1997 Saturn Power Windows Issues

just call your dealer or stop in for parts pricing those switches take quite a bit of abuse over the years and are prone to normal wear and tear. a few hundred bucks would probably get you fixed up on parts. Unless you have lots of patience and the proper tools do not tear into the console yourself you WILL break the little parts and pieces be very disappointed in the end results and probably end up having to buy a new car and having large payments for years since every time you would crawl into your ride you would have glaring evidence of your lack of mechanical skills IT WOULD DRIVE YOU NUTS MAN. Take it over to johnnyg's shop if you are close by. he can probably get you in and out for under 2k no problem. You know the old saying. Good Help aint Cheap and Cheap Help aint good. Pay up buddy

o
RE: 1997 Saturn Power Windows Issues

A Hint:

I found the hint below (in caps) by searching the WEB, but it may not apply to your particular problem. A few days ago, I searched the internet about an operation problem of the rear wiper for a '97 Saturn Wagon. Sometimes it worked and other times, it did not. It seems this problem was related to the last tumbler in the key lock and the securtiy system. There exists a Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) dealing with this problem. Check with your dealer - there may exist a TSB for your problem.

1997 SATURN S-SERIES SEDAN
NHTSA* TSB Technical Service Bulletin Number: 608101 Bulletin Date: 19-Sep-1999
VISIBILITY:POWER WINDOW DEVICES AND CONTROLS

SOME 1996 - 1999 S-SERIES SEDANS AND WAGONS MAY EXHIBIT A REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY (RKE) OR SECURITY SYSTEM INOPERATIVE AND / OR ENGINE WILL NOT CRANK, POWER DOOR LOCKS INOPERATIVE OR INTERMITTENTLY INOPERATIVE, POWER WINDOWS INOPERATIVE, POWER

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here