GMC / SIERRA 1999-2002
GMC / YUKON 1999-2002
GMC / YUKON XL 1999-2002

Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 05V379000 Mfg's Report Date : AUG 29, 2005

Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:ANTILOCK

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 804000

Summary:
CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES MAY EXPERIENCE UNWANTED ANTILOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS) ACTIVATION. THIS CONDITION IS MORE LIKELY TO OCCUR IN ENVIRONMENTALLY CORROSIVE AREAS. THIS RECALL WILL BE LAUNCHED IN THE "SALT BELT" STATES OF CONNECTICUT, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, MASSACHUSETTS, MAINE, MICHIGAN, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, VERMONT AND WEST VIRGINIA ONLY.

Consequence: THIS CAN CAUSE INCREASED STOPPING DISTANCES DURING LOW-SPEED BRAKE APPLICATIONS, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.

Here is a link that might be useful: NHTSA.DOT.gov

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GM Full Size SUV/Truck Recall

Hyundai issued a big recall yesterday, too. There's a different recall issued practically every week. Why do you only report the GM ones?

o

Why worry about a recall on the big gas gusslers.They will soon be sitting on dealers lots rusting away anyway.Who needs breaks on a obsolete anchor.

o

they are anchors on the lots in new orleans. want deal on a car with a little water damage?

o

Things can be done better...

GM could make their vehicles more corrosion resistant - and are they the only ones ?

Owners can maintain their vehicles better .And take more responsibility....
The state could use a lot less damaging road salt.

o

"Why do you only report the GM ones?"

GM = Gross Mis-management...

TJ

o

If GM is producing some of the highest quality vehicles on the road based on consumer surveys, as they are, with gross mismanagement, then I can't imagine what they could do if their management techniques improved.

But as far as recalls are concerned, all companies have a lot of them, as the link you provided shows.

o

isnt a recall a good thing? it means the company found a possible problem with their product, and are following it up. so the customer dosent get caught down the road with a major expense or a part failure that could lead to injury.

o

I guess the idea behind the original post is that if a vehicle is built right, it shouldn't need to be recalled. However, with the complexity of vehicles and the number of lawsuits filed in this country, every manufacturer winds up recalling many vehicles every year.

Many recalls are for trivial items, or for possible defects that only affect a few vehicles, yet require that tens of thousands be checked to figure out which few actually have the problem. Case in point: My S10 was recalled to have a new seat belt/airbag warning sticker put on the sun visor. Apparently there was a misprint on the original one. They mailed me the sticker and included instructions for attaching the new sticker, and also said that I was welcome to visit the dealer and "have this service performed for me."

I read both stickers -- the original one that came on the truck, as well as the "corrected" sticker that they mailed me -- and they were identical. So whatever problem might have existed on the sticker didn't affect all vehicles.

o

yes the hyundai recall is on the sanata for front seats that could cause the driver or passenger back pain over the life of the car due to poor posture. about like your sticker recall, mostly meaningless.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here