SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bud_wi

Wheel Locks - Where to get an extra key? (Long)

bud_wi
16 years ago

This might be long but my question is at the bottom of the post.

I bought a used Scion last November. When I picked it up at the dealership the salesman said to me "If I were you, I would get locks for those wheels or else someone is going to steal them."

I never bothered to try to get locks as I assumed my risk was minimal. Fast forward to August. I get a flat tire and drive it into a Midas shop since it was right there and thought maybe they could help me. They said they would have to order a tire. I said "Fine" and whipped out my CC and then asked if they could be so nice as to put the spare on. Sure. They asked for my *key*. I opened my hatchback for them and they still asked for my *key*.

It turns out that this Scion DOES have locked wheels. They are aftermarket wheels and I have no idea where they were bought.

The guys at Midas said I would have to junk the car. Another place said they would have to cut the wheels off but it would cost more than the car was worth.

I called the dealership and asked for the salesperson who sold it to me. I said "Remember when you told me to get locks for the wheels?" He replied "Oh no! Someone stole your wheels?!?" When I told him "No" and that the wheels HAD locks on them and I NEEDED THE KEY becasue of a flat tire, he was stumped. He said that didn't think it had locks on the wheels and the Midas guys where wrong. He argued with the Midas guys when I put them on the phone. Then I got on the phone with the manager of the dealership. After a lot of back and forth with the manager and then the manager's manager and then the GM, who now kept insisting that I must have "lost" the key and that they never would have sold it without giving me the key, they had it towed to one of their places. From there it was towed to a "mystery place" and then back again to the dealership place. Fortunately they covered everything and I don't have to go to court or anything.

When I picked up my car they gave me one tubular key. I asked to have a spare and they said "Impossible!" They would not tell me the other place where it was towed to and then back, where they resolved the problem. They would not give me any serial number or anything in case I need a key again. This was such a nighmare I hope I do not ever have to go through it again and I want to be on the safe side in case I really do lose the key.

How would I go about getting another key for the wheels? Can one be made from the one I have. If so where do I go to have it done?

Comments (6)

Sponsored