Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Speedometer Sensor

Posted by mister_al (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 08 at 1:56

I have a 1992 Pontiac Grand Am (SE) with a V6 engine and Auto transmission. A couple of days ago the speedometer sensor started going out on me--speedometer doesn't work at times; Check Engine light comes on; car runs rough, and sometimes at high idle; stalls out; and the air conditioner doesn't cool. All this happens at about the same time, then suddenly everything starts working (for a while), and then it starts acting up again just as suddenly.

I don't mind replacing the sensor myself, but I can't find out where it's located. I can find all sorts of information on 'speedometer sensors' on the internet except where it is located on this particular make and model car. If anybody can help me out I'd be gratefull.

Alan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Speedometer Sensor

Phone your dealer and ask him.

o

I've called 3 different dealers this morning and was told by one that the sensors were located at each wheel, another place told me that the sensor was located on the transmission but he wasn't sure where, and the third place told me pretty much the same thing as the second place did.

I'm going to call them back after lunch and see if I have any better luck.

Alan

o

The sensor is located on the right side axil on the transmission. the wheel sensors are for the a.b.s. That
car is famous for broken wires in that area. you might want to check that first before spending money on a sensor
you might not need.

o

Thanks for the tip kalining. I hadn't even considered the wiring as being the culprit. I will check it out first thing in the morning.

Alan

o

I just wanted to let everyone know that the problems I was having with my Grand Am turned out to be the Engine Control Computer. I replaced it and everything has gone back to working like it should.

Thanks for the help,
Alan

o

Thanks for the feed back. We all get to learn something.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here