Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rear Brake Worn Out Faster?!

Posted by mister_h (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 28, 06 at 0:25

2004 Toyota Camry 40,000 miles.
The rear brake was making an intermittent metallic squealing noise and when I checked the disc pads, they were almost gone! I thought this was really odd because the car's most mileage is all highways without much braking at all. So, I checked the front brake pads and they looked fat, almost brand new. How could rear brake pads wear out so much faster thant the front? I don't remember not even once I drove the car with the side brake on by a mistake. Can anyone explain this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rear Brake Worn Out Faster?!

It sounds like something is wrong with either the brake pads or the rear brakes have been dragging. I would have the front brakes checked to make sure they are operating as well. If just the rear brakes are working and you had to make an emergency stop the rear would skid and spin around quickly. I had a Toyota pickup once which had drum rear brakes and they did not have to be replaced until 127,000 miles.

Lance

o
RE: Rear Brake Worn Out Faster?!

Couple things it could be. If the rear calipers aren't working properly, they might not be fully releasing so the rear pads drag. I had to replace the calipers on my 94 Integra (first replaced the front then the rear a couple years later). I noticed a lot of wear and intermittent squealing on the rear brakes prior to doing this.

There is also a proportioning valve that is supposed to send the proper brake line pressure to each of the brakes and normally it doesn't send half to the front and half to the rear because the front end is much heavier so it needs to have more braking. If this is sending too much braking pressure to the rear you could be seeing too much wear there.

If I were you I might just replace the rear pads (check the rotors too) and see if the squealing goes away (it probably won't). If it doesn't, get some new calipers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here