Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Truck Test Drive question

Posted by puzzlefan (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 08 at 23:02

Replacing with great unhappiness my 2000 Tacoma. I get such excellent mpg plus comfort when driving the old truck. I test drove a 2009, 2WD not 4WD today. I was very surprised that if I let up on the gas even a little, it wants to come to a complete stop. I am used to "crusing" in my 2000. I never have to keep my foot on the gas pedal up to the stop sign etc; just cruise to almost there and then brake. Also the tach readings are quite high compared to my 2000. At 50mph, my 2000 runs about 1800rpm In the 2009, it runs closer to 2700-3000. This sounds like gas wasting to me. Am I right to be concerned about this truck or are all new trucks built that way?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Truck Test Drive question

That sounds like the transmission was not in overdrive. You may need to road test it again and see if it was shifting correctly, or if you had inadvertantly shifted it to manual 2nd or 3rd instead of OD.

o

This is an automatic so I pretty much let the truck do its thing. Arthritis keeps me from owning a manual. The salesperson is telling me it is just new but it doesn't feel right.

o

I would test drive another 3 or 4 trucks and see which one I liked the best. Just remember every vehicle feels different. Some people can feel the difference some people can't. So don't let a salesman tell you they are all the same.

Good Luck
Bob

o

Sounds like the parking brake was not released all the way?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here