Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does it need touch up?

Posted by Lexie76 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 4, 05 at 23:01

Someone keyed my bumper. It is a small scratch near the trunk. A friend told me that I need to get the paint kit and touch the area up if not get it fixed to avoid the paint from gradually falling off in that area?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does it need touch up?

No, I wouldn't think so. Rust might be a concern but that bumper is probably plastic.

If you decide to touch it up look at the link below. I've used this stuff and it really does work.

As far as touch-up paint, I've gotten my touch-up paint from http://www.paintscratch.com and used it with the Langka. But my cars are old enough that no dealer will stock touch-up paint for them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Langka

o

Brianl703,
Thanks for the link :)

o

Touch up will not do it as someone cut the bumper w/ a knife. I was told that it needs to be sanded, filled in the spot and repaint. It is small spot and I was wondering if anyone knows what the pros use? Can a non pro do the job? I hate the hassle of taking it in.

o

You can get a sanding pen from the link above. It really depends on how deep the cut is as to whether you can just sand and repaint or if you actually have to fill it in.

o

I took it in for an estimate and I was quoted $334 for an inch wide cut -not very deep. I was advised not to bother with it as it is on the bumper so it will not rust. The job takes TWO days as they have to take the bumper out, sand it and repaint.

o

If you just want to cover up the scratch somewhat, you might still try touch-up paint. At least to get the color over the bare plastic (if that's what's there).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here