Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Security light flashes-Grand Am GT won't start

Posted by mush (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 08 at 22:32

I am having a very annoying problem. The security light on my Pontiac Grand AM GT 2003 is on. When I start the car it does not go off as it should. On occasion it will flash. When it does this on starting the car will not start. If I leave it ON and flashing for 11 minutes then it stops flashing and the car will start. I only know to wait the 11 minutes because I called the auto club when the car wouldn't start the first time it happened. Luckily I got a guy who knew what to do. Otherwise I would have it towed!
Does anyone know what the problem may be? I will have to take it in, but I'd like some idea before I do.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Security light flashes-Grand Am GT won't start

I don't know about your Pontiac, but I do know about my wife's '97 Saturn. These are both GM products, so maybe there is a similarity in their theft deterrent systems.

For our Saturn, if you lock the car with the remote key fob, this arms the security system and to disarm it, you must also unlock the car with the key fob. If, instead, you insert the key into the lock and unlock manually, it will activate the security system, and then, you must wait the time-out period before the car will start. The time-out period can be up to 30 minutes.

So, the drill is: if you lock with the key fob, you must unlock with the key fob.

Does this fit your situation?

o
RE: Security light flashes-Grand Am GT won't start

They replaced the ignition cylinder. The part was $275.00. Luckily I have an extended warranty that covered it. It would have been about $400 total.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here