Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
john g...I lied about brake rotors

Posted by gary__ (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 9, 09 at 22:06

More like I'm getting old and forgetty. I was taught to check rotors with a dial indicator as you said. I abandoned the practice shortly after entering the real world of auto repair. When I started out, if the rotors were within spec, I'd leave them alone. Too many customers came back a short time later complaining of squeeking or chattering disc brakes. Turning the rotors always took care of that. So, since I didn't get paid for turning the rotors the first time because I didn't...and I didn't get paid for turning them when I did later because the job was a 'come back', I said heck with checking them, just machine them. No more comebacks, plus I got paid for turning them. I also got paid for re-doing others brake work who also didn't turn the rotors because they measured true, but made noise.

Sorry for my bad memory. Gettin old's a btch.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: john g...I lied about brake rotors

Hi Gary.

As you outlined, that also is the experience of virtually every other professional technician. People typically don't do things that they don't get paid for, and the whole idea of trying to beat the shop down the street on price means the shop has to cut costs, and that's one of the ways they do it. Not getting paid extra to machine the rotors is still common through-out the industry. Some shops require it as part of every brake repair. Meanwhile the flat rate guide is quite specific, there is a labor fee to do the basic brake repair, one to R&R the rotors, and a third for the actual machining time. It actually adds up to a lot more time than shops actually charge!

Measuring run-out, and in the few instances that require the technician to do even more work to correct for it when its discovered create another dilemma that up front adds a little time to every brake repair, (about five minutes). Correcting for it in some cases can add an hour, (or more) to a job that has its price already quoted, and since the shop feels pressure to "price the same as everyone else because its just brakes" and to not do a repair price-wise that the average consumer would not understand, again the technician often does not get directly paid for that repair.

Just remember every time someone price shops auto repair, and moves away from a top shop to someone who advertises cheap price, they add fuel to this fire.

I can hear a manager saying "well feed you some gravy work to make the time back up" right now.

A good friend of mine has a little saying.

"Getting old sucks, not getting old REALLY sucks...."

Just remember the phrase "Anybody can do brakes", now say it the right way, "Anybody can do brakes incorrectly". Dang, can't believe this, in the process of writing this I just had a phone call from a guy that had a "neighbor that has a shop" who put brakes on his 99 Safari, and now he has no brakes at all that's going to be towed in. The neighbor thinks that this is solved with the factory machine that we put the car on.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here