Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dealing with rust

Posted by butchcassidy (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 11, 06 at 21:18

I've got a '94 Plymouth Acclaim that only has 70,000 miles, but I've got rust on the inside, bottom part of both front doors. Any suggestions on what I can do? I've done some reading on using "Extend Rust Neutralizer." The rust isn't well developed on the driver's side, but pretty substantial on the passenger's door. I really don't want to go to a body shop because of the expense. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dealing with rust

There is a product called POR 15 that seals and stops the rust process. It hardens like an epoxy and can be sanded and worked to bondo the car if you wish.

o

Keep in mind that, once you see rust bubbles, there's more rust you can't see behind it. sdello's idea is a good one; there are other products out there which will treat rust and convert it to something (more) inert. A good local auto-parts store should be able to show you some alternatives.

Another thing to do would be to check the weep holes at the bottom of all the doors -- use a thin dowel or something else which can open up the holes so water can drain out, or you'll be looking at even more rust down the line.

o

If you're serious about stopping the rust, and intend to keep the car running for another 5 or 10 years, you will have to remove the door hardware, and next remove the door panels, and work from the inside out. Water accumulates inside the doors, and when you can see rust on the outside, there is always going to be rust on the inside, as well.

o

How do you remove rust from the hubcaps? I found pockets of rusting on the rearside tires. Do you have any suggestions?

o

Hey guys!
Maybe Tom's website has the solution to this problem too!

o

ok sdello, i followed your advice and got the por15 intro kit, with all the stuff i need. my only question is this....on their literature, it says you don't have to remove the old rust in any way.....true? it only makes sense to me that you would need to scrap or brush that off. your opinion?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here