SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ctaylor5_gw

mom in a wreck, need advice

ctaylor5
16 years ago

What is the name of your state? Texas

About three weeks ago, my mother (63) a law abiding safe driver was going thru a traffic light (green) when another driver made an illegal left turn and ran into the front of her car. The other driver recieved the ticket and no injuries were apparent at the time, her car had to be towed away and was undrivable. The other drivers insurance is dragging thier feet, gave her a car rental (not equivilent to hers) at our insistence and now says her car will be considered "totaled". Problem: My mother is on a fixed income and cannot afford a car payment, hers was paid off. They say they will give her $5000, but looking up a replacement to buy they are all in the range of $8000 an up. This has been a huge inconvienance and emotional drain on her. The other insurance is rude and treats her as it was her fault.They also said she has [B]one[/B] day to make a descision after they "total" her car.

She did take it to her automobile repair guy and he assesses the damage to fix would be around $7500 and obviously at that point driving around a car that has had extreme repairs and I feel not safe....... Any suggestions or advice would be welcomed and appreciated.

Comments (23)

Sponsored