Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
not driving

Posted by bill_h (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 22, 05 at 20:20

something i have mentioned here b-4 is that i really hate driving anymore as i get older. and over the last couple of yrs, with the cost of gas,vehicles etc, i have made a point of driving as little as possible. iam down to about 6000 miles a yr. now. in fact in the last 45 days i havnt driven at all, been walking and riding my bike for work shopping etc. in mich. here with the cold weather and lack of public transportation, a car is a must. but i will be retiring in the next couple of yrs. and i want to move where its warm year round, and i have been thinking about not owning a car at all. any suggestions on places to live where a person could get along with a bike and maybe a golf cart.? someplace where the comunity supports this type of carless life?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: not driving

most retired persons go to FL
sounds like you would be happy there. I still drive about 80,000 miles a year.

o

i have a place in ft myers, but it would still be hard to get by completely without a car there. 80000 miles wow! at my present 6000 a yr, it would take me 13.3 yrs to drive that much! something to think about huh.

o

There's a place just south of Tampa, called Sun City. Golf carts galore roaming the streets last time I was there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sun City Center

o

Some cities are commited to public transit, and others are not. Madison, Wisconsin has good mass transit, but we also have long, cold, winters. Ft Meyers sounds good to me.

o

Denver has a pretty good transit but you still need a car to get around unless you live downtown and pay an arm a leg for the property. The nearest grocery store is at least 1.5 miles away. Not convenience unless you want to shop at Walgreen or Rite Aid. It is cold 8 months of the year.

o

There are books out on this - "Where to live when retired".
The winner could be Costa Rica....
For us, in Pennsylvania, the property/school taxes are a killer..

I do not mind the winter too much, but the summer heat is oppressive.

And I do note that my car does much sitting, now I drive 3 to 5 K annually..

I think Florida would be a horrible place to live - I was there in '48 and '59 - too much heat ! Now, I would say it is too crowded.

o

Im sure they are "retirment communities" or neighborhoods that support this. Im thinking the ones with golf courses wouldnt mind you putting around on a golf cart. But you have the local police to contend with also on that.
In pecan grove,Tx lots of people drive there golf carts out of the neighborhood to the grocery store up the road.
To access this you will have to get on a public road which is still illegal on a golf cart.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here