Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Chevrolet Malibu Vs. a Toyota Camry/Honda Accord?

Posted by downsouth (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 30, 08 at 19:23

What are your opinions of Chevrolet vs. Toyota/Honda? My husband asked me to post this question here. We drove a 2007 Malibu LTZ yesterday and was surprised at the pep the car had. We also drove a 2006 Toyota Camry which didn't have the pick up that the Malibu had, but the interior is a higher quality. Of course, the Malibu was a V6 and the Camry was a four cylinder so that's the added pep I guess.

Our concern is Chevrolet doesn't have the reliability reputation Toyota and Honda has. A resale value on a Malibu isn't going to be the same as a Toyota or Honda. The drive out price for the Malibu was only $1,000 less than the Toyota Camry.

My personal opinion is I rather wait until next spring and save a little money for another (used) Toyota Avalon. I love my Avalon. He likes the Malibu a lot, but is concerned about the reliability factor.

Any comments that might shed a little light for us would be appreciated!

Thanks, Dee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Chevrolet Malibu Vs. a Toyota Camry/Honda Accord?

One thing to consider is the auto market in general. right now, the lots are jammed and deals are easier to get. Some companies will be raising the price of the 2009 models when these arrive in the show rooms later this year. If economy turns around this winter and is on the road to recovery next year, You'll not see the same deals available right now. However, a 2008 new model will have almost 1 year depreciation as soon as your drive it off the lot because the 2009 models will be comming soon.

If the economy contiues to tank next year, its a toss-up which is the better choice for your purposes. The 4 cylinder Camry is reported to give good trip mileage. On the other hand, I've heard (from my friends) that repair costs in a Toyoto dealership is much higher than at GM. Other folks will argue that you'll be returning to the GM garage more often than at Toyoto.

You can't win! Buy the one you like. The 4 cylinder Toyoto will return good fuel mileage and reliability while the 6 cy Malibu has more pep. Driven conservatively, I'd expect the Malibu to return decent fuel mileage, but less than the Toyota. Both of these engines should return at least 100,000 miles of life without major repair under reasonable driving conditions. Commuting traffic will shorten the life of the transmission because of more frequent shifts and bursts of acceleration.

Since both cars are within $1000 of each other, check with your insurance agent for the cost of like insurance on both models. A significant cost increase of one over the other may signal a differential of body repair, replacement, or theft costs.

o

check out the saturn aura, for all practical purposes its the same car as the malibu, but they havent been selling as good, and you may be able to save even more on the saturn.

o

We have looked at the Sienna, the Malibu, the Tucson, the Matrix, and the Vibe.

After a lot of test driving, we bought a 2007 Honda Accord last night. It was the perfect time to buy at the end of the month. We're picking it up this morning, as it was 11pm before we got out of the dealership. Can't wait to get it. It's red exterior and gray inside. I've never been crazy about gray, but everyone else in my family likes it. Guess it will grow on me.

I wanted the EX, but it's got the V6 engine and I was overruled to go with the 4 cylinder that gets better gas mileage. In the long run, that was probably the best move, but I will have to get used to no power seats and no leather. Hope this will be the last car for about 10 years, LOL! I kept my 98 Avalon, and will be driving it a lot too, so should keep the mileage down on the Accord.

Thanks for all of your advice!
Dee

o

good choice, cant go wrong with a honda

o

Consumer Reports recently placed the Hyundai Elantra at the the top of the pack (July 08) You might look it up at your library. Toyota has some reputation for reliability but it's slipping. Our Made in Japan truck was flawless even after 15 years. The new truck which we mistakenly bought reflects its country of origin. It still has a Toyota engine and transmission but everything else is poor quality. It is very evident it was made in the USA. Wish I could turn back time and make a different choice; same quality for less money with a US brand.

o

$1,000.00 more for the Toyota sounds like a bargain in the long run. If it was me, I'd get the Toyota. That being said, Every GM car comes with a 10 year, 100,000 mile waranty on the drive train. So if you are the type of person who trades every 2, or 3 years, and you like the Chevy, then by all means get it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here