Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chevy Tracker-Should I Keep It?

Posted by mare_wbpa (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 18:11

I need some input from you car folks, to help me make a big decision. I have a 2001 Chevy Tracker 4 door 4X4, 4 cyl, which I bought 2 yrs old with 15,000 miles. It now has only 63,000. The only real money that I have spent on iwas on a muffler and exhaust, last year. The paint is bad, it has faded completely in big spots on the rood, smaller spots on fenders and hood. There is a small amt of rust under the front doors. It runs like a top, but the air conditioner compressor went out, I got an estimate for $850 plus tax to fix it. Everyone I've ever spoken to who has a Tracker tells me that they have over 200,000 miles on theirs. I'm trying to decide whether to invest the $900 and fix the air and still have a car that runs well but looks terrible, or take the $900 and apply it to a new vehicle. Any and all feedback will be very appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chevy Tracker-Should I Keep It?

Questions to ask:

1) Do I like the car?
2) What is the record of reliability for the vehicle? Check Consumer Reports and sites like Cars.com

Most times it makes economic sense to keep a used vehicle instead of buying a new one.

o

I'd hesitate to spend $900 to fix the air conditioner.

The vehicle is 12 yr old, but with very low miles for its age.

You may not get 100,000 miles out of it because you are averaging only 4800 miles per year. At that rate, it will take 7.7 years to get to 100,000 mile and the vehicle will be nearly 20 years old - It will rust out before then.

You could continue to drive it without A/C.

Are you certain is the compressor? it could be low on refrigerant. Also, check the fuse for the compressor clutch. This fuse can be hidden in unthinkable places. On some, this fuse is an in-line type in the circuit lead going to the clutch. On others, it can be on the compressor.

However, if you like the vehicle a lot, spending $900 to fix the A/C would be $300 per year spread over 3 years. Since rust has started and the paint is bad, I think it will be a rusty mess within 3 years unless more money is thrown at it to arrest the rust. Looks like a loosing battle.

My suggestion: Continue to drive it without A/C and save the money for the next vehicle.

o

Thank you to Robertz6 and Jemdandy for answering my post. I opted to invest the $900 in a new car. I was torn because I had sort of an emotional attachment to my Tracker after driving it for 10 yrs, it was like an old friend. I got a new Honda CRV, it's beautiful and I really like it so far.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here