Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is my GEO kapput

Posted by gillian3 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 10, 08 at 18:08

I purchased a 1993 GOEO metro 10/07 $1500+500 for repairs since: a few months after purchase my daughter was driving down the highway and it lost power the engine was still running she backed off the gas and shifted to 3rd that did the trick and drove just fine, a couple months later the same happened to me? The mechanic said he didn't have a clue. Then in June when ever i was at a stop sign or traffic light the car would start shaking and die so when ever stopped I had to keep the engine revved up the compression check was 100/80/95 it is still getting good gas mileage, and I have always had to keep an eye on the oil level putting in 1-1.5 qts per week, but now going down a hill and around a corner in town the engine dies I pop the clutch and it starts right up but I am thinking it is really unsafe to drive like this. Is the engine shot or is this the beginning of the end I may be saving on gas but the repairs are killing me and is the car worth putting any more money into. thank you for any advice you can give me backdoor3@iwon.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is my GEO kapput

Its a 15 yr old GEO with how many miles? How much can this be worth? And now maybe its jumping out of gear, and kills at stops.

And where is that 1 to 1.5 quarts of oil per week going? Is it leaking out or being burned? That's a huge amount for a tiny engine.

o

thanx for responding, good question, there is no oil leak the mechanic, who I bought it from, said just check it every week as if this was normal, so you think this might be an expensive fix and do you think it is the transmission or piston rings?? thanx for any further insight - I am only the 2nd owner not that that matters - I am not sure at the moment about the mileage as I have it parked in the garage waiting to make a decision on getting it fixed or sell it?

o

Not a bad idea for anyone to check their oil every week. If you're going through a quart plus per week, you're either driving a mosquito fogger or road oiler. Neither is good or a normal condition, not even for a full sized car with a v-8.

As to your intermittent drive ability problem, that's probably not anything too expensive. The trick is to get it to malfunction when someone has test equipment hooked up to see what's going on with it. The "when ever i was at a stop sign or traffic light the car would start shaking and die so when ever stopped I had to keep the engine revved" part of the story sounds kind of like an idle air control or maybe mass air flow sensor problem to me. A stuck open EGR valve and who knows what else could also make it do that kind of thing. That's just a wild arse guess on my part. You can try rapping on the mass air flow sensor with it idling in your driveway and see if it acts up. That's a shade tree test that's worked for me in the past, but still not a substitute for a guy with test equipment who knows what he's doing.

Good luck with it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here