Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing a starter

Posted by socks12345 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 28, 09 at 17:54

Our son is going to replace the starter on his 97 Jeep. He has not done this before, and DH will help him over the phone as much as possible (we are in different states).

I was wondering if there is a website which has good general directions which our son could refer to before he starts. I found one or two online but thought someone here might be able to refer me to one which has dependable information.

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing a starter

Precautions before you begin:

1. Note locations of wiring connections. Got a digital camera? If so, take a picture before tearing things apart.

2. Disconnect the battery.

3. Watch for spacers that may be on the mounting screws (between the starter and engine). These are adjustmet items.

Call your local library and ask if they have a subscription to an automotive repair web site. If they do, you can access that and get instructions. Also, you could buy a Haynes repair manual. These are not very good compared to an offical shop manual, but should suffice for replacing a starter. These manuals are available at some auto parts stores.

o

Just to follow up on Jemdandy's suggestion. Most libraries have copies of repair manuals. I know my local library has several copies of Motor and Chilton.

o

On a 97 Jeep it's not so critical to worry about the vehicles long term memory in its computers, so the first step is to disconnect the battery. With newer cars we want to avoid full power loss if possible. So we are forced to attempt the repair while keeping the power for keep alive memory intact.

Above all, do not wear watches or rings while attempting this. Be mindful of how little torque is required for the cable connections, its easy to over tighten them and break the solenoid on the starter. They have to be tight enough to not come loose, but don't break the assembly.

Beyond this, if your son does not possess the ability to simply look at this and figure it out, then he really wasn't born with the skills to try and do it. Everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses, and being "mechanically inclined" is a skill that not everyone has. If he can't handle this repair, then its time to have a pro that he can rely on.

o

Thank you everyone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here