Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Turn signal out - not the bulb or fuses. Any ideas?

Posted by mary_228 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 6, 06 at 17:22

Can anyone help me with this diagnosis and fix?

Right turn signals (front and back) and right emergency flashers are not working. The bulbs are fine, based on the fact that the parking lights work (same bulbs). The fuses under the dash and in the engine compartment are ok.

There is no sound or blinking lights of any kind in the interior when putting on the right turn signal or emergency flashers.

It could be the interior bulb, I suppose, but there is no instruction on how to change it. Is this a bear to do in a '97 Chrysler T&C? Any other ideas on what to check?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Turn signal out - not the bulb or fuses. Any ideas?

For one thing, though there may be one bulb doing two functions, there are two separate filiments inside the one bulb, one for brake/turnsignal, the other for tail or marker light. If one filiment burns out, the other will still function. So one can't conclude the bulbs are good because they still do one of two functions.

The little arrow in the dash is just another bulb. If it's burned out the outside ones will still work.

Common problems for this kind of thing are bad bulbs...always first guess, bad ground, bad connection somewhere which in this case most likely would be just under the steering column where the turn signal wires are, bad turn signal switch. jmo

o

That's interesting what you said about the two filaments. It's exactly what the girl behind the counter said who sold me the bulbs!(But I didn't understand what she was talking about.)

But she also said that the bulbs make a circuit and if just one of the three bulbs that do the turn signal (and the one in the dash) are out, it won't work at all. If that's the case, I'll need to replace all three bulbs before I know for sure? And the one in the dash?

I'm getting a little tired of using the old fashion turn signal. I think people think I'm waving at them! I've made an appt at my mechanic, but would love to avoid another bill right now.

o

Mary ..........But she also said that the bulbs make a circuit and if just one of the three bulbs that do the turn signal (and the one in the dash) are out, it won't work at all. If that's the case, I'll need to replace all three bulbs before I know for sure?

This is BS, unless Chrysler is now radically different from GM ,etc..Usually unless something else is wrong, the burned out bulb side will flash too rapidly - just find the one that is "dead", and there could be, however rare, two burned out bulbs...
With a good eye you can see the broken element, in a two filament bulb, it is the shorter(and brighter) of the two..
If the bulbs are good, then it could be a bad switch, or a wiring connection..

o

Gotta' nod my overly large head in Gary's direction.

So often with electrical problems a bad ground is at fault.

Check the obvious easy-to-do possible problem sources then, if the malfunction still exists, break out the wire brush and clean up those grounding points.

I'd peek at the lightbulb areas first... some have grounding wires within the lamp. After cleaning the grounds spread a wee bit of anti-corrosive goop on the spot to help prevent future corrosion.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!

o

Have you actually checked the bulbs ?

What about the indicator relay (that makes the noise) ?

o

Thanks for all the ideas.

Just back from the mechanic and it turns out that it's the turn signal switch, apparently not a commonly requested part as neither the nearby dealer or parts supply stores had it in stock. So another visit is required for the $50-60 part and 1/2 hour of labor.

o

I was told my turn signal switch was bad on my chevy.
I have to hold the lever up/down to make the turn signal blink. Also, the cruise control (which is on the same lever) doesn't work either.

The shop wanted to charge over $200 to fix, so I've been living with the problem since. This was several years ago.

Your price doesn't sound too bad if we're talking about the same thing.

o

I had a similar problem last year. I though the bulb died but actually what happened was a wire connection for the towing wiring came undone. Follow the wiring and see if perhaps there is a cut wire.

o

The actual part that had to be replaced was the "flasher control".

It required a fair amt of detective work to see which wire still worked, etc before determining that this was the part with the problem.

Total repair cost : $103

o

Glad you finally got it resolved and it didn't cost a fortune.

o

It's Chrysler so things like this are going to be happening more and more frequently.

o

I own a 2000 Buick Lesabre. The blinkers worked until we took the dash apart to work on it. After we put it back together the blinkers do not work, nor do the blinker lights on the gauge. Any ideal what may have went wrong?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here