Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Altenator question

Posted by debbiep (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 07 at 16:30

Hi,I'm posting this question for my husband.He has a 1991 dodge dokata truck.The alternator charges sometimes and sometimes not.Within the last two years it has been replaced with a rebuilt one and also the computer had to be replaced then to which was a new one.If he was to take the alternator to be tested most likely it would show that it is charging.Anyone have any idea why it is charging sometimes and not always?Thanks..Debbie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Altenator question

I suspect that many "rebuilts" are cleaned, painted, tested, that is all..
Right now there is a possibility that the brushes are 99% worn down..

o

Any time you replace an alternator with a rebuilt one, make sure that the sheave on the shaft is the same size as the original. I've see rebuilts come out of the box with the wrong sheave for the engine and accessory in your particular vehicle. In one case, externally, a 45 amp and 60 amp alternator appeared the same except the 60 amp one had a smaller sheave and was spun faster.

However, in your case, you say that the alternator works sporadiaclly and a likely cause, as the poster above stated, is brushes loosing contact with the slip rings. This can be due to worn out brushes or new brushes that are hanging up in the brush holder. Many years ago, I had an alternator with brushes of square cross section in a holder with a square hole. In less than 5000 miles, the brushes wore a groove and hung up in the holder. Chrysler fixed this problem by going to round brushes in the square holes.

Remove the brushes and inspect their condition.

o

A poor connection from power to the one brush or from the second brush to the computer which grounds it will cause a sufficient voltage drop through that circuit that would cause the alternator to not charge. During one of the periods when it is not charging, a technician would be able to test for and locate the problem. It is quite common for the computer connector (wiring harness) to fail and make a poor contact with the computer pins.

o

voltage regulator issue?

o

Replace the factory cable connectors at the battery before proceeding any further. The factory connectors had corrosion problems on the interior of the solid block. They look fine on the outside but only carry partial amps, part of the time, If you have already replaced those factory connectors, then recheck your aftermarket ones, you most likely have a intermittent connection problem at the battery.

o

dnt1 Has THE BEST advice so far. The suggestion that most rebuilds are only "cleaned-painted-& tested" is the most assinine thing I've heard. If Earthworm thinks that rebuilds are done that way, he obviously is buying them at the wrong parts house.

Posted by dnt1 (My Page) on Sun, Aug 26, 07 at 11:45

Replace the factory cable connectors at the battery before proceeding any further. The factory connectors had corrosion problems on the interior of the solid block. They look fine on the outside but only carry partial amps, part of the time, If you have already replaced those factory connectors, then recheck your aftermarket ones, you most likely have a intermittent connection problem at the battery.

o

Sorry, but aftermarket bolt on battery cable ends are simply a Band-Aid when someone actually needs stiches.

If the cables are really bad, the ONLY correct long term repair is to replace the cables, and associated harness if required.

BTW, the "voltage regulator" is the PCM on this vehicle.

o

I reckon you've got some sort of an intermittent drain somewhere and that's causing the problem.

A dodgy fuel sender (in the petrol tank) or a failing globe in the boot can cause this. Has the vehicle been involved in a rear ender or any other accident ?

(If it is this, it is not an easy problem to fix).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here