Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
About how much to replace A/C compressor?

Posted by alisande (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 15:57

My daughter-in-law's Crown Vic needed a new A/C compressor when they bought it a couple of years ago. The car was used, in great shape otherwise. The seller paid for the A/C repair, and all was well until this summer, when the compressor failed.

It seems like too much of a coincidence that two compressors would fail, but the second one was an aftermarket part, so maybe that's the explanation.

In any case, I hate to see my daughter-in-law and their baby driving around in hot car. The temp has been brutal lately. Does anyone have an idea of how much a repair like this would cost?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: About how much to replace A/C compressor?

The best place to ask is your local repair shop, one that is certified to handle and dispose of refrigerants.

Depending on the type of failure, the entire sysem may Need to be flushed to rid it of any debris. Little pieces of stuff can ruin a compressor.

If you do not know the history of the repair, that 'after market' compressor may have been a usesd one from a salvage yard. It could also have been a rebuilt or remanufactured unit. A rebuilt is that has been refurbished by replaceing the obvious failed parts to make it work again. A re-manufactured unit has been taken apart and all parts worn out of specifiaction replaced. Questionalble bearings and seals are replaced. A re-manufactured unit, on the average, is better than a rebuilt one. However, both will contain used parts and may not have the same life as a new one.

o
RE: About how much to replace A/C compressor?

any shop owner could offer up their price here. its info. but we do not know what the shops in your area charge. and ALL the parts that may need to be changed. that can affect price. comp is 300. install is 400. so 700-800 would not surprise me. nor would 1000.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here