Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is 18,000 a good deal for a 2001 Honda Odyssey with 40,000 miles?

Posted by wilkerson925 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 19, 05 at 14:46

Do you think $18,000 is a good deal for a 2001 Honda Odyssey with 40,000 miles? It has leather seats and power doors.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is 18,000 a good deal for a 2001 Honda Odyssey with 40,000 mi

Hard to tell, check out the competition.
Any repair history ?
Any details , of importance of course..
We paid $6,500 for the 6 year old Accord with the troublesome carburetor and horrible dealer service.
The dealer or repair facility must be considered.The newer ones with fuel injection are far, far, better, but I cannot trust the dealers..
Why not Chrysler ? or GM

o

$17 K for a 2004 Ford Free(Wind)star in the local paper, from a local Ford dealer, , believe it or not ( and I do not !)...Is the Honda that good ??
We have a '97 Accord...

o

I thinks thats a little stout. considering you can get a oddeysey with 100,000 miles for $8,000. Some people (not the OP) buy for the sake of just buying used. Many just think a used car = bargain which is not the case.

o

Just doing a quicky search shows the car as being worth in the $17k - $20k range, at least in my area. So, $18k seems to be in the ball park, but neither a great deal that's a once in a life time opportunity, or a bad one to stay away from.

o

Is the Honda that good ??
We have a '97 Accord...>>>

Unfortunately, Earthworm, I suspect that the later model Hondas (as in 1998 and newer) especially the V6s, do not share the same longevity and reliability that the older models did. When the Accord, Odyssey, etc. were redesigned in 1998 and 1999, Honda changed just about everything. Apparently, it was for lesser quality parts/materials/components. 1997 was the last year for the 5th generation Accord (which was based strongly on the proven 1990-1993 4th generation) and was the last of the truly reliable Hondas IMO. Now, you get the same problems with an Accord (if not more) as you would any other car.

I wouldn't buy a new/used Odyssey newer than a 1998 (last year the Odyssey was based on the 5th generation Accord)

Consider one of the GM mini-vans which are still based on proven platforms and drivetrains.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here