Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moon roof - 2004 Passat

Posted by NJTea (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 2, 05 at 14:42

This morning I opened the roof window in what I call the "vent" position - the portion of the window toward the rear of the car is open.

Soon I decided that I wanted it in the slide-open position. Turned the switch, the window closed and then immediately opened again in the vent position. Now it won't close or change position no matter where I set the switch. It closes and then immediately opens again.

Any hints to fix it so I don't have to go to the dealer and fight with him about giving me a loaner car while they try to fix mine - before it rains again!

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moon roof - 2004 Passat - redux

Immediately after I posted this message I recalled there was an allen wrench to close a stuck window. Now the window is closed and when I try to open it, it does a shuffle, opening a bit and then closing - opposite of what I reported in my initial post.

Therefore, my question now is: what's the problem, the switch? And, can anyone give me an estimate as to how much it might cost to repair the problem and how long it might take.

I ask 'cause I know the dealer, as mentioned previously, will give me a hard time about getting a loaner. Therefore, if I know in advance approximate cost/length of time for repair I can know whether to agree to wait or to argue for a loaner. (Dealer is 35 miles from home and 12 miles from work place and totally inconvenient for anyone to pick me up/take me back.)

o
RE: Moon roof - 2004 Passat

Who knows, could be a loose wire at the switch, could be a bad microswitch buried in the roof somewhere, and they'll have to tear down the whole interior just to get the headliner down so they can get to the microswitch.....

o

But this is a warranty job, is it not ??, so even if it costs $$$$, and it could, it is VW's problem..

o

Most definitely the problem is VW's.

I'm gun shy from dealing with Subaru on the issue of loaner cars for warranty repairs, however. Each time the car went it for a warrantied repair it was a huge fight to get a loaner.

I recall once being at the Subaru dealership and there was an older woman in the waiting room in tears. She'd brought her week-old car due to a very loud rattle/knock and they had refused to give her a loaner. She was into her fourth hour of waiting for the repair to be completed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here