Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'90 Maxima Front Struts Seized?

Posted by reekola (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 19, 11 at 14:37

Hi All,Haven't been on this site for quite awhile - which is good, no car troubles. Had power steering pump and power steering rack replaced on my 250K+ mi. 90 Maxima. Now the front struts are seized. Mechanic says he can't think of anything he did that would have caused that. Only thing he could think of was maybe oil leaked to bottom of struts when it was on the rack. He said to drive it for a week or two to see if it softens up. Any thoughts are appreciated. Don't want to spend $600 on struts since I only plan on keeping car for about another year. Struts were probably pretty old since I can't remember replacing them for about 10 yrs. Is this a safety issue driving it like this? THANKS in advance!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: '90 Maxima Front Struts Seized?

you had good ride before rack was replaced and now the ride is harsh/stiff? does your front end bounce if you push down on bumper? seized struts? not sure i buy that.

o

Ride before new rack was not stiff, like now. Struts were kind of old so did rattle a little. Front end does not bounce when pushed on, like it did before. Seems to be softening up a little since rack, but nowhere close to what it was. Since I only plan on keeping car for another year, do not want to put new struts on if not critical. More curious as to what happened.

Thanks!

o

you have had car for 10yrs and are not sure if you ever replaced struts? your comment is somewhat vague.

o

In the 10 years, I've had 5 different cars to maintain. Pretty sure I did not put struts on the Maxima in that time. So much info. getting pumped into our brains these days, I can only hold so much in my 16K capacity brain! Information overload. Anyway, seems to be riding and handling adequately, just a little stiff on bumps. Also, seems to be working itself looser as time goes on. Too many other places to spend my limited funds on at this time. Thanks for your input.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here