Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
metal carport

Posted by rabbit8 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 30, 09 at 13:13

Hi to everyone. I need your help. I need to place a metal carport in my driveway (which facing the east). Will this be a good idea since the sun will be on my car for a few hours during the morning and in the afternoon? I was told that inorder to preserve the newness of the car paint, a carport should be placed facing the north or south (away from the rising and setting of the sun. Please help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: metal carport

If you have an east-west driveway, it just wouldn't do to orient a car port north-south on it now would it? The concerns that you have about your car being in sunlight for part of the day is valid, and is a feature of an east-west carport that you can not do much about. Lets see if there is something that can be done to increase the amount of shade.

1. Increase the length of the carport so there is enough shaded interior to cover your car most of the time. Admittedly, it will be sunstruck early in the morning and late in the evening, but these rays are not as damaging as from mid-day to mid-afternoon.

2. Add gable ends to increase the length of shaded area inside.

3. Add plantings at the rear to provide shade for this open end.

4. Rebuild as a garage rather than a carport, but I suppose cost is a factor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here