Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Power window goes down, but not up

Posted by hardlyclever (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 13, 10 at 12:45

The driver's side window on my 98 Chevy Venture would lower fine, but will not raise up. There is no motor noise, no clicking -- just dead in the water. My first thought would be to replace the motor, but since it lowered it without any problem, could it be something else instead? Regulator? Something else?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Power window goes down, but not up

Sure it could be several things, but the most likely is simply a bad switch.

o

Hi John,

Is there a definitive way to check? I'm trying to do this myself and avoid the $$ of taking it into the dealer.

Thanks!

o

It can be a bad switch or a broken wire most often in the door boot where the wires get flexed ever time the door is opened. To make matters more interesting, it is possible for the metal wire to break inside its insulating sleeve without the insulation parting. During the early phase of such a break, it may exhibit intermittent circuit. Try this: Hold the switch down while swinging the door back and forth (slowly). If the broken ends of the wire temporarily meet, the window motor may momentarily operate.

Service manuals do describe procedures for testing the switch, but these may not differentiate between a bad switch and a broken wire. The window switches are snap acting blades. A broken blade will affect the feel of the rocker button. If the rocker button feels normal when operated, chances are the snap blade is ok. With the vehicle in a quiet place, put your ear next the switch and operate the rocker buttons and listen for the sanp blades. All should snap to and fro in a decided crisp manner.

The most common modes of failure are:
1. Broken snap blade
2. Welded contacts
3. Misalignemnt due to parts shift and the blade will not toggle in one direction. The alignments of the blade fulcurm in relation to the contacts and the location of the push pin on the blade is very critical. A shift of .005 to .010 inch of the fulcurm can stop the toggle action.
4. In rare cases, debris between the contacts.

The switch assembly can be removed and tested with a continuity light or Volt-Ohm-Meter. It unplugs from the wiring harness via a multi-pin commector. However, you will have to have the pin-out diagram to make sense of it.

o

sounds like a bad switch to me.

Pull the switch and take a look, I'll bet you can see the problem.

o

It has been a few days, so what happened? Did you find the problem?

o

Hi guys,

It definitely was a bad switch -- now replaced and working fine.

Thank you so much for the help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here