Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daughter's car got T-boned today, grrrrrrr

Posted by gary__ (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 30, 05 at 12:30

My daughter works nights at a cannery. While leaving the parking lot for home this morening, a co worker failed to yeild and nailed my daughter's '93 Tempo right between the doors on the passenger side. The lady that hit her accepts responsablity for the accident (so far). She gave my daughter her name and phone number, and she did call us this morning. Say's she doesn't have insurance and wants to pay for the damage out of her pocket. I hate it when people do crap like this. For one, the other driver is driving illegally. For two, I'm sure she's just making near minimum wage and a single mom, so I don't know what she thinks she's going to pay for the damage with. I'm 90% sure my daughter's car is totaled. It's worth probably $1500 ish. To repair, both passenger side doors would need replaced, damage to the rocker panel and most likely the 'B' piller needs repaired also. I didn't want to pry the door open for fear it wouldn't close again. The car is still good to drive. My daughter has uninsured motorist coverage. My inclination is to have my daughter fill out an accident report, and turn it in to our insurance. That would be $500 deductable. Maybe the lady could cough up the $500. Though she sounds nice and sincere enough, I'm afraid she doesn't have a pot to pee in and by the time we start talking money in earnest she'll have changed the story to we should be paying her. What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daughter's car got T-boned today, grrrrrrr

Call the cops and why was there not an accident report on the spot.They could both be in trouble for that?Is the Tempo worth $1500.00 is that what you have in it.Or did you pay more for it and now it is only worth $1500.00?Do not let her get away with depriciation.Could you get an equal value car for $1500.00 that your 100% sure is as reliable?

If you had it fixed it would cost a lot more then $1500.00 a scratch is $250.00 turn her in and get another dead beat driver off the road.Why should your daughter have to drive a banged up car because of a dead beat low life.Or risk her insurance going up if she turns it in to her insurance.

o
RE:Also

Forgot to mention people like the low life single parent trash of the earth like this lady is the reason yours and my insurance is so high now.

o

Something like that happened to me when I was rear ended by a woman who wanted to settle it without the cops and a police report.The cops came and found out she was driving with a suspended license.Luckily the van she was driving was insured,although I had to fight with the insurance company to get fair market value for my car which was totaled.Don't ever give these people a chance,they are breaking the law and deserve to be turned in to the police!The next person this bad driver hits could get killed-turn her in to the cops!

o

Absolutely agree with johndeere's first letter; if there is not police report, gary's daughter may be in the right but up the creek without a paddle....

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm on Mr Deere's second letter - we have problems in our nation, these must be solved in an intelligent manner..

o

You might want to call your insurance agent and let him be the decision maker.

My daughter has uninsured motorist coverage ...That would be $500 deductable
Here uninsured covers the uninsured driver/car, not my car body at all. I dunno... I'm no insurance guru but ,,If I don't have full comprehensive collision coverabe and am in your situation - I'm sol for body work in a wreck , unless the other party pays out of their own personal pocket.

o

Well, I went down and talked to the police for the hec of it. He said no report to dmv required unless the damage is above $1500, so I'm back to waiting till I can get an estimate monday. He also recommended not sending in a report if the damage doesn't exceed $1500. He said if she did it would go on her record as an accident regardless of who's at fault. He said he could write the other driver a ticket for not having insurance, but it would be real easy to beat in court because he didn't see the accident.

There's a couple kinds of uninsured motorist coverages you can have. One is for medical expenses only. The other is for damage done to your car by another.

Collision is to fix your own car in instances where you are at fault. Liability is to fix damage you cause to another party. Comp is for those odd things that can happen like a tree falls on your car, a rock flies through the window, that kind of thing. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. I'm sure I'll take it in the shorts one way or another.

o

Bummer.... I also vote for not putting it on your daughter's insurance. She's going to put a black mark on her record because this other woman was operating her car illegally? That's unnecessarily nice of her.

Hope it works out well with the car.

o

There is another factor. If the accident did not occur on a public road, but in a parking lot privately owned by the company, it changes the relationship with the police department.

I had a similar accident 25 years ago and the cost to repair was $2000 back then. I'd expect a repair bill exceeding $3000 today. If the car is worth only $1500, the insurance would probably 'total' the vehicle and offer no more that wholesale cost as settlement. The other fellow's insurance tried this on me, but I refused the money and asked for a replacement vehicle similar in value to what I had. Why did I do this - it was because the engine in this car had recently been rebuilt.

In your case, there is no insurance by the other party, and there's the rub. Find out more about this driver. Is she a destitute mom trying to make ends meet, or is she single woman picking up extra cash. That information would change my course of action. However, it would not change my level of frustration.

Talk to your insurnace agent, before deciding on a course of action.

o

Posted by: johndeere (My Page) on Sat, Jul 30, 05 at 14:35

Call the cops and why was there not an accident report on the spot.They could both be in trouble for that?Is the Tempo worth $1500.00 is that what you have in it.Or did you pay more for it and now it is only worth $1500.00?Do not let her get away with depriciation.Could you get an equal value car for $1500.00 that your 100% sure is as reliable?
If you had it fixed it would cost a lot more then $1500.00 a scratch is $250.00 turn her in and get another dead beat driver off the road.Why should your daughter have to drive a banged up car because of a dead beat low life.Or risk her insurance going up if she turns it in to her insurance.
====================================================================== ====================================================================== ====================================================================== ==============================johndeere,

I don't know about your state, but almost ALL of California, the Police WILL NOT respond to a request for an accident report unless someone has been injured. I know it sucks, but alot of local Police agencies are taking on this attitude.

o

One experience I had, after my parked car was hit by an unregistered car, driven by an uninsured motorist:

"I don't have insurance, but my friend owns a body shop. He'll fix it!!."

It's amazing how many people are related to body shop owners!!!!

o

So did he fix it? This person hinted at the same kind of deal...which I don't like the sounds of.

o

Gary, NO WAY did I let this jerk's friend fix my car. I informed the other party that I would settle the matter in small claims court. I also handed him an estimate. A week before the court date, I had my money.

o

Good !
Assertiveness pays off..

I agree, we would have to employ many, many more police at a cost of $$$$$$$ if they had to respond to every "fender-bender"..
But WHO determines the $1,500 threshold ?? And personal injury ?? I am far more rugged ,IMO,than a frail old woman of 90..
Whats costs so much money is the police/medical over-responding ! There must be some medium, more reason..

o

Well, got an estimate to repair her car today...$1880 smackers and change. That's about $50 more than top dollar at a dealership for a car like this. Think the lady will cough up the cash when I call her tonight? I don't think so either. Just hope the insurance company gives me $1500 for it. They probably won't either. The lady that wrecked the car and the insurance company will just take turns porking me I'm sure. So it goes.

o

That's why you should ALWAYS call the cops and get an accident report filed! It's always the bad drivers who want to settle without bringing the cops into it.Maybe this woman doesn't even have a license as well as insurance!Luckily no one was hurt this time,but next time this bad driver could kill or cripple someone!

Never take the first offer from the insurance company as they will always lowball you.I didn't get fair market value for my car until I said I was going to turn the matter over to my attorney.Find the top value for that car-demand that and you and the insurance company will most likely meet somewhere hopefully not too far under that amount.Good luck!

o

Good thing you don't live in communist Canada. Well an elected dictatorship anyway. Manatoba has AutoPac. Government controled and implimented auto insurance. No AutoPac no car. It's that simple.Their valadation sticker is on your plates. They even control your drivers licence. We are the only place in the world that i know of that you get convicted of the same crime 4 times. The courts get you. AutoPac gets you. D.M.V. gets you, and the
police get you. This is just a motor vehicle infraction.
Just be thankfull you have a choice. Ex. D.U.I. it is
a 6 month suspention. $500.00 fine. After everyone gets a
piece of you it becomes minimum $1000.00 fine $250.00 for
Alcohol rehab. $250.00 for the cource. Drivers licence goes from $40.00 to $100.00 with a $200.00 sir charge. Yes
the police are involved instantly if it is D.U.I. or just
an accident. If we have one accident that is our fault even
if you haven't have one in 20 years our insurance goes up
50%, we lose every discount we ever got and our drivers licence goes up $200.00. If your car is a right off you lose it. Yes they take it unless you want to buy it back.
They remove that price from your pay out. Just be thankfull you have a choice. We don't. If i could get my green card i'd be down there so fast i wouldn't hear a dial tone from the I.N.S. I'm sure after this comment the
R.C.M.P. may be banging at my door. I think i used a few
BUZZ words that shouldn't be used. If you don't hear from me in the next month or two you'll know what happend.
Just my input. Some light reading for those that might be
interested.

o

Not to get off topic, but if ya get a DUI, you dont really deserve to drive. Lost a friend to a drunk. Driving is a priveledge, not a right. Stick to your guns with the insurance company. get quotes from the newspapers to back up what you think is fair.
I got into an accident in Victoria BC years back. My fault. BC insurance gave me an option to pay the deductible, thus my rates go up. OR pay for the damge my self, thus rates wont go up. I paid for it out of pocket.

o

Socal inspector,
We have a police dept like that and I tell my wife to tell them she is hurt but does not request an ambulance. Really She could be hurt and not be aware of it. For the police to Have a a lay person diagnois themselves is silly.

o

Well, as predicted, the other driver was shining my daughter on...probably so she could leave the sceen. On the plus side, my daughter has witnesses signed up including a passenger in the other drivers car. Also now have a good description of the car, which I'm sure isn't registered to the driver. I should be able to find it now and photograph it anyway. My daughter wants to confront the other person. I told her not to bother. We'll gather the info and provide it to the police and the insurance company. Then it's up to them to do their job, which I'm sure they won't. Not a big enough deal for the police to want to fool with. Not enough money involve for the insurance to want to fool with. People drive around here with suspended licenses all the time. Zero's who don't give a hoot and have no assets do whatever they darn well please because they know there are no conseqenses. P*sses me off.

o

Call clerk of court and ask for an appointment with Judge Wapner - diy style her into small claims court. Get a judgement, ask for interest added if not paid in a timely manner. Someday it'll put that jingle back into your pocket, and with interest, it'll feel like a bonus. Might even get yourself a real estate lien that you can sell to some bill collector.

o

Look at the bright side.Gas prices are going thru the roof.Maybe these low life scum bags will not be able to afford gas either.Then they can either walk or mooch a ride.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here