Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
honda PAX stuff

Posted by joe_mn (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 4, 09 at 12:05

the rims can have the support ring removed/replaced. can the rims be used on other honda cars that use the same bolt pattern? does the rim have a unique bead/lip design that cannot be used on other tires? i found a set of free rims/tires and wonder if i can reuse them on other cars if i replace the tires and take out the support ring.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: honda PAX stuff

found a nice video at youtube showing the removal process. i can see the rim is built different internally to support the runflat ring. the lip looks similar to standard rims but it is not the same. the current rim owner says he cannot substitute normal tires on the rims. thats why he is giving them away. 300+ for each new tire. plus mounting at the honda dealer.

o

With the Honda Pax system you have run flat tires on special rims, and you have an active TPMS system.
Many people are choosing to "depax" their vehicles. This can be done in a number of ways. Apparently Acura MDX wheels and tires and sensors work. He's trying to recover some of his expense of doing the depax, and you'll be hard pressed to make efficient use of them IMO.

www.collegehillshonda.com

There is a video clip on that website describing depax options for their customers.

The tire machine required for a shop to correctly service these wheels and tires costs over 10 grand. Only shops that genuinely see enough of these to justify that expense are buying it of course.

o

i have not read why the tire wear is so poor. each assy weighs around 75lbs? the van strut is tuned to control this mass and replacing the wheels with aftermarket stuff affects the ride. shocks/springs/bushings/swaybars are all designed to work together. i wonder what an approved shop wants to remove the tire? the process pushed out the support ring which is than removed from the tire. i am thinking of just scrapping the rims since they are free.

o

honda wants $20/tire to dismount. discount tire wants $80 each. yes, they have the equipment to do it but it takes along time. thru the magic of youtube, i saw a video where the tech took off the tire in 2 min. maybe it was edited?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here