Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
trans intall

Posted by cavell (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 23, 13 at 12:00

i replaced the trans in my cadillac last year. heavy trans. i lowered subframe. now the trans in my grand prix is due. i have been told it is easier since trans is lighter but i do know the subframe still has too come out. once subframe is gone, it is real easy to reach any brackets that attach motor to trans. i think the caddy job was very hard. on a scale of 1-100 it was about a 85. i think the grand prix job will be about a 75. i guess the only folks who can offer opinion on job would actually have done both. i do not see this as being even slightly easier.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: trans intall

Don't they have the same GM transmission? How is one "lighter" than the other?

o

the caddy has a 4t80 trans while the grand prix has a 4t65 trans. think the weight is 275lb vs 225 lbs. the gp subframe is smaller. slightly lighter. once the subframe is out, its real easy to reach most of the motor/trans brackets. a local shop says they can r&r the grand prix trans in 1 day. remove, fix, install. i am just replacing my trans with another used one.

o

there it is

o

trans is in. works fine. code tag says 9BCB and i found one from a 99 venture which all the yards say will not work. it also had a 9BCB tag. 9 is for year and BCB is trans detail info. talked to trans tech and he says BCB is important number and any trans with that id will work. it shifts fine. all is good. gotta like the $100 price too. plus my labor of course.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here