SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jasper_60103

trailer hitch install nightmare

jasper_60103
18 years ago

I recently purchased a Draw-Tite (75270) trailer hitch for my 2000 Honda Odyssey.

Supposedly an easy 30 minute DIY installation. No drilling required, since the Odyssey already has nuts welded to the frame for installing a hitch.

The problem is the bolts they supplied with the hitch are too large for the welded nuts on my frame. The bolts they supplied are M12 x 1.25 x 35mm. This resulted in breaking one of the welded nuts loose in the frame (and the bolt is still stuck in it).

FYI. Before attempting to install, I sprayed the holes with WD-40. My neigbor, who is more mechanically inclined stopped by to lend a hand agrees the bolts are too large.

I can't remove the hitch because one bolt is stuck in the weld nut. Since I can't remove the hitch, I decided to find some bolts that will work (at least temporarily) to secure the hitch.

After several trips to my local ACE, I found 7/16" bolt is closest to the metric size specified. It works and feels secure, even though its not an exact fit. Anyway, this is just a bandaid to hold the hitch on until I find the correct metric bolt. Again, I will not tow with this.

Can anyone tell me where I can I find the size of the bolts required? I tried honda.com, but this level of detail isn't specified. Also, I'm waiting for a call back from the on-line shop that sold the hitch to me, but I'm not impressed with their customer service.

Regards,

-jasper

Comments (9)

Sponsored