Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cadillac paint job

Posted by rue4wo (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 27, 05 at 11:47

Just my luck. I hit a new Cadillac Seville while backing, gently, into a gas pump area at a gas station. I took a chip of paint off the very tip of the pointy front of the car. It is about 1/4 by 1/4 inch. I am going to pay for the repair and apparently have to repaint some of the car which means removing the bumper. Anybody have any experience with this or have a ballpark figure on the cost? Why can't they just come over with a little vial of paint and a teeny brush and save me a lot of money?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cadillac paint job

Todays age, you just tap a car and you pay dearly - all for some silly bumper-less styling ..

And no one seems to want to save money, much less someone else's..
The rant aside, seek out an auto-body man willing to work, but it could still cost $$.
There are kits on the market that are far better than the PepBoys/Autozone junk... But these require some work, patience, and expertise..

o

"Why can't they just come over with a little vial of paint and a teeny brush and save me a lot of money?"

Pretty simple rue4wo, in the past when this was attempted, many of the people it was tried for weren't happy with the end result. In some extreme cases they would threaten to sue, or did successfully sue the shop and then got the repair done for basically nothing, and worse yet, the shop paid legal fee's on top of fixing someone's car for free. So the only logical response to that was to discontinue the entire process. You could purchase touch up paint yourself, and brush it on if you like. Check with your dealer.

o

**Why can't they just come over with a little vial of paint and a teeny brush and save me a lot of money?**

When you're the one who just shelled out $50,000 for a brand new car and someone smacks it in the parking lot with an '81 dodge omni. And that person then offers to touch it up for you with the fingernail polish out of his wife's purse for the fix because that's a better than good enough fix for his car, you're free to accept that as good enough for yours too if you want. Anymore a scratch costs $500 to fix properly.

o

And, that's another reason why I'll never spend over $5k on ANY car I drive everyday!
I've got a neighbor with a mint 1955 Lincoln Premiere. He won't even get it on the interstate because the paint might get chipped. But, that pays off at the car shows.

o

At least that Lincoln had real bumpers, more than I can say for today's sorry excuses..

And is it any wonder that a scratch costs $500, but with people doing the wrong thing and suing at the drop of the hat...??

o

I do have a better perception now of why it will cost $$ to fix this little chip off the point on the cadillac. I would think a professional could spray just the area around the chip, and buff it out and make it work. I certainly am going to pay a professional to make the cadillac "like new" and not try to do it on the cheap, but I was concerned that I was being taken for a ride.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here