Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
AC Testing

Posted by KATHRE (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 4, 05 at 11:47

Hello,

I just bought a cheap AC testing kit at an auto parts store here. It has a temperature probe that you insert into a vent. Is there any particular temperature range in F that one should see?? The instruction card had no chart. The house AC reads 50 degrees F. ...Or is the temp check particular to a specific auto? This kit also has a freon level check gauge.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: AC Testing

It depends on outdoor ambient temperatures. Cars put out between a 35-50 degree drop from ambient...down to a floor of about 35-ish degrees, but some cars don't even get that low. The 35 degree drop is about par at idle, 50 degrees or more is what you can expect to see on the highway.

o
RE: AC Testing

A waste of money in my book.
Better to take some classes in auto air conditioning and buy some pressure gages.
Or ,there are some good books in the library..
A man must read the high and low side pressure and the ambivalent temperature..
Is not that 50 degrees rather low ? - or are you turning the house into a refrigerator ??
The freon level check gauge ... is that a pressure gage ???
Measuring the pressure is the accurate method...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here