Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Backup Camera Needed to Prevent Child's Death

Posted by ginnyginny (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 19, 12 at 11:36

A child was killed in our neighborhood recently when a car backing out of a driveway didn't see him. I drive a wonderful 82 Volvo and can see behind me. My daughters drive new cars and as you know, visibility when backing up is quite poor. Fortunately they do not drive SUV's which I know are worse.

I'd like to get them backup cameras for their cars and would appreciate suggestions on how to choose a good one. I did a quick search on Consumer Reports but I didn't see that they have tested them.

This is a huge problem and I know that new cars will have cameras in them, but what about all the older cars, how many more children are going to die before cameras are cheap and easy to put on?

Thanks
Ginny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Backup Camera Needed to Prevent Child's Death

A major problem with backup cameras is keeping the lense clean. Cars that offer built-in cameras usually sddress this problem in some fashion. Some have lens covers that flip aside when the camera is in use. The rear of a vehicle is a very dirty place for a camera and electronice.

The other problwm is where and how to mount the viewing screen.

Since you daughters' cars are newer vehicles, look up their model to see if a rear camera was offered by the manufacturer and is it available as a dealer add-on option. If so, one of these is likely a good option.

o
RE: Backup Camera Needed to Prevent Child's Death

Ginny,

You may be interested in the website below.

Unfortunately the present the problem and lots of statistics but don't seem to offer much in the way of solutions.

Accord to Kids and Cars, 50 kids receive hospital treatment every week for an accidental back-over and 2 are killed. That's 2,496 per year injured and 104 killed. The website doesn't say specifically what age group are included but we'll assume the vast majority are under age 5. The Census Bureau has the 5 and under population at 20.2 million. Take makes 0.012% of that age group being injured by backing vehicles and 0.00051% being killed.

The CDC puts pedestrian motor vehicle deaths at 112 for the 1-4 age group, so that seems to correlate a bit. Drownings for the same age group is roughly 4 times higher at 450. Motor vehicle traffic accidents are 362, homicide 291, fire/burning 169, suffocation 125, and falls 46.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kids and Cars

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here