Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mildew smell with windows open

Posted by BreakerOff (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 7, 05 at 11:18

Whenever I open my car windows in the summer, I get a strong mildew odor. I'm guessing it's inside the door cavity but don't know for sure.

I'm not about to go spraying bleach in there, so what is the best way to get rid of the smell?

Thanks.
BreakerOff

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mildew smell with windows open

Mildew follows moisture and a lack of ventilation. Do a water spray down test to determine if there is any water seeping and staying down inside the doors.
Do you have a cabin filter ?
More details will come in handy.
Assure that your evaporator housing is draining properly.

o

Make sure that the drains in the bottom of the door aren't blocked; you might have water in there.

o

The weep holes at the bottom of the door are clear.

Earthworm, I'm not sure what a spray down test is, can you elaborate. As far as a cabin filter, do you mean an air filter for the car's ventilation system? If you do, the answer is yes. The evaporator housing is indeed draining properly (although this smell definitely comes from the windows).

o

If I use diluted non-chlorine beach in a spray bottle and spray the rubber weatherstripping around the window would that get rid of the smell?

o

I dont think I would put bleach around the weatherstripping it would probably deteriorate pretty quickly. I have this smell occasionally in my cars and find that leaving the windows down in the sun for a few hours generally gets rid of the smell.

o

We used to do this "spray down water test" at VW to trouble shoot leaks.
And also at BMY for the same purpose.
Set the water hose for a gentle rain-ish spray, attack all the openings(including the lights - tail-lites are know to leak).
Good to have a helper inside, but at BMY we used blue chalk on the door seal.
Any leak would then easily appear.
The VW vent windows were a prime leaker, little else was.
Many BMY doors were distorted, and the seal was too minimal, very old technology was used..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here