Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Acura Clutch Master Cylinder

Posted by krish727 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 14, 05 at 10:41

hi all,

I recently went to acura dealer ship for the oil change and was told that my Clutch Master Cylinder is leaking and the fluid is very low. They quoted $375 to repair and refill it. I dont see any leakage under neath my car. Can any one explain me what this thing is and why is it so expensive?
thanks alot,
kris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Acura Clutch Master Cylinder

You can top up the hydraulic fluid in the clutch master cylinder for less than $5.00, if you do it yourself. But the fluid will leak out again, over time. The master cylinder and the piston assembly are both made of metal, but the seals that keep the hydraulic fluid contained are made of synthetic rubber, and shaped like "O" rings. Sometimes a leaking cylinder can be disassembled and only the o-rings need to be replaced. Sometimes the interior walls of the cylinder are scored, scratched, or damaged, and the cylinder has to be machined smooth before new seals are installed.

o

If the master cylinder fails the brakes won't work.

They don't use second hand master cylinders because the seals may not fit properly.

A set of seals cost about $30. The rest is labour.

o

***If the master cylinder fails the brakes won't work.***

How exactly would a failed clutch master cylinder (which is what we're talking about) prevent the brakes from working?

o

Sorry, didn't read it properly.

You won't be able to get the car in gear.

o

Sit at a stop light and the cars starts creaping forward, and suddenly you discover it's really`hard to pull it out of 1st gear.

o

At Saab, back in the 60s and 70s we rebuilt these for $10 in parts and an easy and profitable one hour of labor.
A total of $20, plus tax.. Even if one moves the decimal point....Cars were easier to work on back then...

BTW, the clutch master cylinder probably was NOT leaking, only seeping..
Simply monitor the fluid levels...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here