Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with '94 Sunbird

Posted by kesca (kesca@cox.net) on
Tue, Jul 12, 05 at 10:41

I've got two things worrying me with my car.

The first is I heard a thumping noise when I turn right. Could it need a new rotor? Or might the problem be in the steering column?

The other is more persistent, but only a problem if it rains. I have intermittent wipers that sometimes stop while in use. I believe I can reliably get them running if I have not used them in a while, but if I turn off the ignition it's a definate maybe as to whether they will come on again. If I failed to turn off the wipers before turning off the ignition that odds are against the wipers going on again.

I've had the board changed out, but the problem persists. I used to be able to get the wipers going again by manually pushing the in the current direction, but that no longer works.

I'm not sure if they are in any way related, but from what I 've read, there have been recalls of Chevy trucks with what sounds like the same problem. I'm not sure what was done to the recalled vehicles. Does anyone know? Could my car have the same problem since it's built by the same people?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with '94 Sunbird

Correction, the thumping only happens on left turns!

To be more specific on the thumping noise when I turn left. It doesn't happen when I make wide left turns. It will different make the thumping noise with sharp left turns. And for standard left turns, sometimes it does and sometimes it's doesn't. It's almost as if it "corrects" itself with right turns.

o

I don't have any specific solutions but feel compelled to chime in that any out of the ordinary noise or feel directly associated with steering the car should not be ignored. It indicates that something associated with the mechanical linkage that steers is not right and it will likely fail if left unattended. Depending on the specific component the timing and consequences of such a failure could be disastrous. You need to have someone look at your car and specifically identify the problem. Once you know the true nature of the problem you can make an educated decision of whether you want to take the risk or not.

just my 0.02

o

If I am correct the "power on" side outer CV joint is making this noise..
In this case, the left side.
Its boot is open, the CV grease all but gone, a clack-clack noise results..
But not really a "thump" noise, so the tires must be checked..and the entire front end..
I doubt if anything is wrong with the steering, but as Mr sdello has posted, have this examined ASAP..

o

The wiper problem you mention was a recall on some GM vehicals.My parents had a Astro van that the wipers did that 95 model.The fix was if I remember correcty they applied silicone to seal off moisture to the circuite board under the hood I think not sure?Ask at a GM dealership im sure they could tell you if there was a bullitine on the Sunbird.

o

There was also a recall on the Sunbird/Cavalier for a faulty steering rack, not sure which year.

o

Have this checked by a shop, and let them tell you what you need and go from there. Trying to guess a noise without driving the car, hearing the noise, and then putting it on a hoist and correctly inspecting the front end is simply wasted effort. Case in point, I checked a car for a noise last week, the front bumper cover was loose and rattling.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here