Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
car lifts

Posted by lgiorgi (lgiorgi@optonline.net) on
Thu, Jul 17, 08 at 9:23

Hi, I was wondering if u could help me with information about a car lift for my husbands garage. I want to surprise him. He wants to be able to put one car in the air and another far under itl He is a car lover and he restored his 1923 tbucket. He wants to get another car but needs to lift the first one in order to be able to work in his small garage . He already lifted his ceiling to allow this. He stopped working in it to do my kitchen. I want to surprise him.
Lynn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: car lifts

There are many hoists out there. Everyone is different.
how wide is the garage ? The average above floor hoist is
12 feet wide. Drive ons are narrower but about 20 ft long. If it has an above single ram you need about 20 feet of ceiling. My brother found out the hard way as the ram punched threw the ceiling almost threw the roof.
There is a drive on used muffler shops. Very safe but you cannot take the wheels off unless you put jack stands under the frame and lower the hoist. There is also an external arm hoist. good for removing wheels a drive line and suspension parts as everything hangs free. some hoists have a single upright ram and some have two rams under the drive on. Both use 220 volt power. Well the good
ones do anyway. Make sure the garage floor is about 8 inches thick with at least 4000 lb. concrete to hold it and
put the hold down bolts in. You should be able to get a
good used one for about $3000.00. Maybe less and couple
hundred to deliver it. You should be able to install it
yourself remembering the lightest part is about 100 lbs.
Make sure the hoist has dual locking supports. they are
not designed to be left in the upright position. the moveable arm hoists are probably cheaper but not that safe.
Prime example. We had them in the shop. G.M. sent out a
notice saying if we lifted a Chevette we had to chain it down because if you took the rear tires off the car would
fall forward off the hoist and they did. Very nice gift.
Every man's dream. Will your insurance company and city allow this ? They may think your operating a buiness and
want additional permits.

o

I believe this is what you are looking for or thinking of. At the top of the page is info that will help you decide if the lift will fit your garage and vehicles.

You remind me of my wife. Very thoughtful and caring and always trying to surprise me. But! and I say but because she usually buys me something that I don't want. I am very particular about my tools and cars. I know what I want and if it isn't exactly what I want then it ruins the surprise if you know what I mean. ;>(

Anyway good luck
Bob

http://eagleequip.com/page/EE/CTGY/LI-SS

o

There are other ones too including from Harbor Freight.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bob's link

o

Just so there is no confusion the link that I posted is for their storage/service lifts. The link gary posted is to their 4 post lifts. You can get just about anything you need from them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here