Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
leaky quadrajet

Posted by joe_mn (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 27, 06 at 7:08

i have an older motorhome with a chevy motor and quadrajet carb. if i let it sit for several days it will not start. i tried pouring a little gas in the carb and it will start fine. does this sound like a classic QJ float bowl leak or perhaps a n internal accelerator pump issue? it does not seem to squirt gas down the venturi when i pump it. but once it starts, the motor runs fine. we changed the fuel filter/strainer on the carb inlet but i wonder if it might be the FP as well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: leaky quadrajet

remove the carb then remove the throttle plate and epoxy
the plugs in the float bowl.

o

Yep, that's the fix.

Another option would be to replace the old carb with a new one of the proper cfm for your engine. My son replaced his old quadrajet with an Edelbrock performer. Being a quadrajet fan from way back, I was skeptical when he bought it. I have to say it's a very nice carb.

o

a friend just bought a 85 mustange and it came with a holley double pumper. not really a street carb so he swapped on a edelbrock 1405 or 1406? supposed to be a fairly common street carb, vacuum secondaries, 600cfm, elec choke. anyway, his mileage dropped from 300/tank to 200/tank. he got the carb used so he has no idea how its jetted but something is up. he took it into a shop that tunes cars and hopefully will get it straightened out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here