Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dodge is gonna build it!

Posted by christopherh (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 3, 06 at 6:36

I just heard on the news that Dodge is going to build the Challenger. It's always been ready to go since the show car is buildable just as it is.
And the 70's Challenger in my not so humble opinion was the best looking Dodge there was.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dodge is gonna build it!

I like those too. Hope they build the new ones with a variety of suspension and power train options instead of just a pricey balls to the wall muscle car version so more people can buy them.

o

So if Ford has brought back the Mustang and DCX is reintroducing the Challenger, can GM be far behind in presenting an encore Camaro (or, smarter, Firebird)? Will they do a better job than they did with the GTO? How much life does the pony-car market have in it?

o

Hard to say about the Camaro/Firechicken. The photo's of the prototype vaguely resembles the '67 and '68 models, but not near to the degree as the Mustang and Challenger resembles their names sakes. The late model GTO is no comparison. It was never intended to be a retro rod at all. Only thing it shared with the past was the name.

o

Ah, yes, GTO. We all knew what those letters stood for....
"GET THE TOOLS OUT!"

o

well if they bring the 70`s muscle cars back, i hope they bring them back with 70`s prices!

o

I remember the sticker on my '64 Galaxie 500 XL hardtop. 427, 4 speed. 8 MPG
$3,606.25
My buddy's '66 GTO. 16 MPG
$3,419.36
My 72 Pinto Squire. 20 MPG
$2,219
My 81 Rabbit Diesel. 50 MPG
$7,245
My '03 Expedition. 20 MPG
$39,721.92

o

My parents' first house (suburban Long Island mumbletymumble years ago): $17,000. My Jetta Wagon (nice car, but not one that many people lust over): $17,000. But now the house is worth >$400,000. In 40 years, the car likely will be no more than precious memories...

o

> The photos of the prototype vaguely resembles the '67 and '68 models,
> but not near to the degree as the Mustang and Challenger resembles their names sakes.

The Challenger really had to be a near-clone of the 1970 design, more so than the others. Three reasons for this:

(1) the oddly-proportioned Dodge Charger sedan has received a cool reception; we want our muscle cars the way we remember them;

(2) unlike the Mustang which has been in continuous production for the last 42 years, or the Camaro which went through four generations; the Challenger look is defined by only one generation, the 1970-74 models. Veer from it and it won't be recognizable as a Challenger. (a later Mitsubishi 4-cylinder coupe was sold as the Challenger, but that was a completely different car except for the name). And,

(3) the definitive Challenger, the 1970 model, was a visibly more contemporary looking car than the late-'60s Mustangs and Camaros, and is easier to recreate in a modern car. It needs few changes to look modern - mainly, color-keyed bumpers, filled-out wheelwells, and a few minor proportion adjustments. The basic look of the original still works.

o

If there going to bring back the muscle cars from the 70's.I hope they bring back the same gas prices.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here