Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brake dust--wheel shields

Posted by aartwmich (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 13, 05 at 5:33

I did a search for my subject and found nothing.

So what to use to clean that nasty stuff off without damaging wheel material or finish? Anyone have any experience with the wheel shields that are available?

Thanks in advance :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brake dust--wheel shields

The wheel finish/material should be known. In any case, straight water under some pressure can always be used.

o

Hmmm....Earthworm have you experienced this brake dust on your wheels??
I have found this 'dust' to be kind of greasy. It certainly doesn't come off with the 5/8 garden hose nozzle set on 'stream'!

o

i use wd40 and a rag then rinse the wheels.

o

My wheels are alloy but painted with a clear coat. I wax them at least once a year, cleanup is easy with soap and water. Once a year I remove them from the car clean them with degreaser and wax them. Of course this advice doesnt apply for other types of wheels.

o

aartwmich :

I have gone back and read some of Earthworms posts and It's pretty funny to read some of the advice that is given here. In response to your question, I've used Simple Green for a number of years and have had great results. I would certainly NOT recomend WD-40 as a cleaner. Ever seen how good brakes operate after the rotors are saturated with WD-40 ?

o

I'm very surprised that I haven't received much of a response to this question here considering some of the other rather in depth discussions I've read on this forum. Not that this is a deep subject, but I'm sure it is a common problem. I figured there would be SOME feedback on either ceramic and/or dustless brake pads or the wheel shields. But noone seems to want to talk about it.

Oh well, I'll just wash em for now until I can find a way to reduce the dust or keep it from reaching the outsides of the wheels.

o

Posted by: aartwmich (My Page) on Wed, Jul 13, 05 at 16:58

Hmmm....Earthworm have you experienced this brake dust on your wheels??
I have found this 'dust' to be kind of greasy. It certainly doesn't come off with the 5/8 garden hose nozzle set on 'stream'!

My wheels are clear-coated, some are just painted and waxed, so simple water pressure does the job.
Perhaps a good idea, the use of WD-40 to clean the wheels (little or no "40" will hit the brake pads unless the operator is really sloppy - this I cannot imagine)..I would be a bit concerned the the "greasiness"; pull the wheel and check the CV boots.
This is a service item that MUST be checked on an annual basis..

o

These are alloy wheels, probably clear coated. Water pressure does not take the stuff off.

This is a brand new vehicle, I seriously doubt the CV boots are leaking. Plus the 'greasy dust' is on all 4 disc braked wheels on a front wheel drive vehicle. Hmm no CV boots in the back right?

I'm surprised no one has mentioned any experience or even knowledge of the wheel shields....or mentioned any of the various ceramic brake pads that are available that advertise much reduction of the dust in the first place. After finding several people that I work with who have switched to these pads and found a marked difference in the dust produced with no loss of braking power, this is probably the way I will solve my problem.

I don't want to wash the stuff off, I want to keep it off there in the first place.

o

I have never had this brake dust problem with any car of mine , the newest being the '96 900S..

The ceramic brake pads may be a good idea, if they are easy enough on the rotors and stop well..A little dirt, even requiring some elbow grease or a detergent for me is no problem....
My daughter has a '97 900SE, I'll let her know about the ceramic pads, if the dust is of concern, she is more fastidious than I..

o

Yes, brake dust on wheels can appear to be greasy. There are wheel cleaners but you have to be carefull with them as you seem to already be aware. Other ideas expressed such as simple green or wd-40 on a rag will work fine, but is labor intensive if you have spoked or slotted wheels.

Been thinking about getting these for years on our durango. From what I've read on another forum they work really well. The wheels will still get dirty, but no brake dust so they clean up easier.

Here is a link that might be useful: kleen wheels

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here