SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nikchick04

Which sub-compact car?

nikchick04
17 years ago

After deciding that my 97 Chrysler Sebring with 113k miles isn't worth putting $4,500 worth of repair into, I'm looking for a new car. I'm a college student - don't have a lot money, so originally I was planning on getting an inexpensive used car for under $5,000. But now I'm thinking it would probably be a better investment to buy a reliable new car and plan to drive it for at least 10 years. So which car?

The 3 I've been looking at are the Hyundai Accent, Kia Rio, and Toyota Yaris. With all the options I want, they are each around $14,500 - $15,000 MSRP, which is the highest I want to go. I really like all 3 of them, but am having a difficult time deciding which would be best. I've been doing a lot of research, have yet to test-drive any of them but will be doing that soon. The big seller for the Accent and the Rio is the 10 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty. The Yaris only has a 5 year/60,000 warranty - BUT it's a Toyota. All 3 are basically the same as far as features, safety, etc. If the warranties were the same, I think I would choose the Yaris based on appearance alone - I really love the look of both the interior and exterior. However, I know it's foolish to make my decision based on appearance. I need something that is reliable, something that is going to last 10 years without any major repairs. I don't know alot about cars, so I'm hoping to get some advice from somebody who does. Should I go with the longer warranty or the better name?

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio