Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
TPS/idle question for someone in the know

Posted by gary__ (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 4, 06 at 23:26

My '87 corvette idles a touch to slow for my taste, though it is to spec. A common complaint of those cars from about '85 - '92 or so. It is not adjustable short of finding some computer chip techie type to reprogram the prom. I see in one of my car catologues they sell an adjustable TPS for my car. The stock one is not. Do you think I could run the idle up 50 rpms or so this way? Would there be some kind of unintended consequenses if I tried?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: TPS/idle question for someone in the know

"My '87 corvette idles a touch to slow for my taste, though it is to spec."

I don't have my laptop at home which has my Mitchell On demand program loaded on it. So I don't know if there was an updated prom for your car to increase the idle speed or not.

"A common complaint of those cars from about '85 - '92 or so. It is not adjustable short of finding some computer chip techie type to reprogram the prom."

That is the only correct way to increase the idle speed, by changing the prom, if one is available.

" I see in one of my car catologues they sell an adjustable TPS for my car. The stock one is not. Do you think I could run the idle up 50 rpms or so this way?"

No. The computer learns the lowest TPS voltage that it sees as a closed throttle idle position, on each restart of the engine. That's why it is not adjustable, and does not require any adjustment. Now if the prom is changed, that can be engineered out, possibly making use of an adjustable TPS.

" Would there be some kind of unintended consequenses if I tried? "

Sure could. You could get EGR when it's not supposed to be turned on. You could also have problems with the Torque Convertor Clutch in an automatic not disengaging when you are in a deceleration. Trying to trick the computer into thinking you are not at idle, when you really are will simply confuse the system.

o
RE: TPS/idle question for someone in the know

Thanks. Had a feeling it wasn't a great idea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here