SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nikchick04

Worth Repairing?

nikchick04
17 years ago

Hi there,

I have a 97 Chrysler Sebring, which I recently brought to the dealer because it was driving poorly, leaking coolant, and shaking vigorously at anything over 50 mph. Turns out that both head gaskets are bad, I need tie rods, and some brake work, totaling approximately $4,500. I'm a college student - I don't have anywhere near this amount of money just lying around, but I need something to drive. If I had to, I could use my credit card for the repairs (don't want to do that, but like I said I don't have the cash), but would it be worth it? The car has 113k miles - it isn't even worth the $4,500 that it would cost to fix it, and I am concerned that it wouldn't last much longer after putting so much money into it. My other option would be to get an inexpensive used car (I would put a small down payment and then would have to finance), but I imagine it would be difficult to find something newer and/or with fewer miles in the same price range. I just need something reliable, hopefully that would last at least a few years without any major problems. Any opions on what my best option would be?

Thanks,

Nikki

Comments (2)

Sponsored