Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Selling my Daytona??

Posted by patrice607 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 11, 06 at 22:46

My son is trying to decide if he should sell his 91 Dodge Daytona ES or keep it and do an engine swap. He brought it in the other day and the mechanic said fixing the oil leak would require separating the trans from the engine - about $500.00. He suggested just replacing the engine for about the same cost. KBB says its only worth $1500, but he wants at least 3 grand for it, considring the amount of aftermarket parts he put into it. So should he keep of sell?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Selling my Daytona??

How's the rest of the vehicle? In good shape or two tires on banana peels? How is son's ability to buy something else? Would whatever he buys for that money be any better off mechanically? Even if son thinks the car is worth three grand, it's all a matter of what the car is worth to someone else. If they don't want the doodads or whatever, he's out of luck no matter how much money he spent.

I'm going to guess that a $500 engine is off the junkya -- er, auto recycler's lot, with no idea of its history or condition. Seems risky to me.

If the rest of the vehicle (including the engine) is in good shape and son already has spent the money customizing it the way he wants it, then $500 to fix the leak is worth spending. Replacing that vehicle either will be a huge risk or much more expensive.

o

$500 is not too bad for this job; for a Saab or a VW it could be $900..
But, are we dealing with a leak or just seepage of oil ??
Is this a standard shift or an automatic ??
The aftermarket parts do not increase the cars value, but can decrease its value...
Maybe he should keep it and live with a little consumption..

o

so the mechanic will take out the engine and replace a 3 dollar rear seal and charge 500 or replace the engine with a used one for the same money? so he is charging 497 for labor. does that mean the used engine he will put in is worth $0 since his labor costs $500? tell me which junkyard he gets free parts from. i want to get my parts there too. i am being somewhat sarcastic here but the math does not add up.

o

Replacing the rear seal is probably more labor than swapping the engine. To get to the seal, the transaxle/torque convertor has to separated from the engine, and maybe the engine pulled out. Then the oil pan is removed, and new seal installed. The rear crank bearing should be measured for out-of-roundness, because if it is out of round, the new seal won't hold long. Crank 'wobble' will open it up. Maybe a new crank bearing has to be installed to complete the repair. A new pan gasket will be needed. Then, the engine has to be put back. That's a lot more labor than swapping an engine.

Let's hear it from a real mechanic out these who has replaced one of these seals. How much labor is involved?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here