SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mollyb2_gw

Expensive repair: was I taken for a ride?

MollyB2
18 years ago

This is embarrassing. I took my 1995 Lexus ES300 (93,000 miles) in to have my snow tires removed and an oil change and they told me there was a leak in the catalytic converter and that there was no aftermarket repair part. The part cost nearly $1400, the labor $75. Total bill with tax, about $1600. He kept talking about a "Y" joint and gaskets ---- what do I know?

It was Saturday, I'm in the middle of moving, I'm short on cash, crazed, couldn't deal with one more thing, especially buying a new car, so I had them do the repair. But now I can't help but wonder if I should have checked elsewhere on the price. I tried looking it up on the web and found that it (if it's the same "it") lists for over $1400, but the parts place sold it for around $400. Gulp. Any words of comfort? It's been a great car that has given me very little trouble over the years, so it's not as though it's been a money pit. I figured it would still be less to repair it, rather than assuming car payments over the next 6-8 months.

But did I get taken? How can I find out? Or should I just go to sleep and fuggetabouddit?

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus