Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
20 inch wheels--balancing

Posted by toasted_311 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 30, 05 at 21:49

A guy at work has a set of chrome 20" rims and tires(less than two months old) that fit my truck for $800. All for rims have welds on the insides---he said that was the only way to balance the big rims....I've never had anything bigger than a 17". Is this true and safe? If its ok I cant pass up the deal...same rims are 1400 at my tire shop.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 20 inch wheels--balancing

IMO, save your money, keep the wheels and tires that your truck was designed with. I really don't understand when people spend money on stuff like this, and then when their car needs a real repair claim they don't have enough money to do it! (I'm not saying you do that, just making a statement)

o

I agree 100%, John.
On most cars, these expensive(and troublesome) oversized wheels with ultra low-profile tires look horrible - much like a car/truck with bicycle wheels...And ride about as well..
Better to spend all that money on gas.... and now there is none left...

o

this is true is...but no one actually answered my question though. So if someone would answer the question posted rather than stating they don't like that style of accessory then I'd be grateful. The only reason I'd get these rims is I can get both rim/tires for half of the new rims costs...I've got the money to spend if I want to on this and it not effect me otherwise. If the wheels are unsafe due to the weld balance then I won't get them.
Thanks

o

the problem wont be the balance, its the rotating mass. you will be lucky if you can keep brakes on it for more than 8000 miles.

o

I have never seen welding done to balance a wheel and tire, in fact I have doubts about whether thats actually what it is or not. But lets just say that is what it is there for. When you replace the tires in the future (they will wear out) how much will they cost? Where will you go to have the assemblies rebalanced? How many times will you be able to do it before it makes them look like trash?

BTW it's impossible to give good advice on this kind of stuff when one makes a prudent decision to not waste any money on any of it to gain any experience with it. VBG..

o

People weld on rims all the time, but never have heard it used for balancing. Perhaps it was factory balance on the custom machined rims.

Stick on weights work, and as they are soft lead will even form fit a bit if needed.

o

Maybe the original owner of these 'fancy' wheels did not like the idea of having balance weights in view, hence, he/she went the route of welded weights that were out of sight.

In my opinion, novices should not apply welds to wheels. Before any welds are done, one should know the stress patterns, and how to maintain wheel strength, and if a heat treatment after welding is required, or pre-heating before welding is needed. If the wheel material is aluminim or magnesiom alloy, its gets more dicey.

A cracked wheel is very dangerous, especially when the crack occurs a speed.

o

no direct experience with this, but intuitively adding weld material to balance wheels doesn't sound right to me. Balancing is performed by adding specific weight to specific locations. I would think that the variability inherent with adding weldments would make this an ineffective means of balancing the wheel.

Any way to add a picture of the welds?

My 0.02

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here