Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need an extra key for Acura

Posted by AnnCarolyn (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 25, 05 at 21:30

I just purchased a 2004 Acura RL and was given two keys. They did not have the valet key (which I always use as my "hidden on the car" key). I called the Acura dealership to price a new key. I was told the key blank was $55.00 and the labor charge for programming it would be $45.00. Seems $100 dollars is a lot to pay for a copy of a key. Is this the going rate or can I get a key made somewhere else? Acura talked as if they were the only people that could make me a copy. Thanks for you help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need an extra key for Acura

i have an accord with the same type of keys.They have a ship that cannot get wet so hiding it under the car is not gonna work unless its in watertight case.
I had a key for the door only made at Home depot for $1. Now if you stick that copy in the ignition it will reset the security code and your screwed way more than $100. I would call different dealerships I found one to do a "real" copy for $45.

o
RE: need an extra key for Acura

Yep $100 per key is the going rate for an Acura key. My local honda dealer will program them for $20 so I have bought a blank at Acura and had the Honda guy program them and saved a few dollars for my TL. Thanks to the thieves, the necessary security features add thousands to the price of your car :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here