Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
o2 sensors

Posted by mibc (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 08 at 21:22

I HAVE A 1998 FORD TAURUS GL 3.0 I WAS TOLD THAT IF MY CHECK ENGIN LIGHT WAS NOT LITE THIS COULD BE AN OXYGEN SENSOR PROBLEM AND I SHOULD CHANGE THEM. COULD NOT GET CAR INSPECTED DUE TO THIS PROBLEM

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: o2 sensors

Do you have two lamps: one labeled 'check engine' and another 'maint reqd"? If so, the 'check engine' lamp is lighted only when a trouble code has been set. 'Engine maintence required' lamp is lighted for scheduled maintence items such as the oxygen sensor.

If you have only one lamp, then it has to do both duties described above. So if this lamp is dark, it implies no trouble has been detected or no maintence required. So, no light means no problem detected.

Maybe I did not understand the question. If you referring to the checkout routine the engine controller goes throguh when the key is first turned on and all the critical lamps are lighted momentarily as a check, if the 'check engine' lamp does not come on momentarily, this signals a problem in its circuit, and yes, the car can not be inspected. The problem could be something as simple as the lamp is burned out.

o

Bump-ing! Just another O2 sensor simple question.. How can I test it? I know that it can be tested in and out of the car.. But I dont really know how..

Here is a link that might be useful: Oxygen Sensor

o

Get a Chilton Repair Manual for your Car, go to an auto parts store they usually have them or can order one for you. I got one, and if you are somewhat Mechanically Inclined, you should be able to clean and/or replace it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here