Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
' Everyone in America gets the GM employee discount '

Posted by Zofie (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 10, 05 at 20:42

... oh and btw, 25,000 GM employees will be terminated.

Somehow, I dont feel like running over to GM and taking advantage of their much-publicized employee discount. What about you?

One week they announce the employee discount, and it seems like one week later they announced the layoff??? Talk about terrible timing. Or was this really their planned strategy?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ' Everyone in America gets the GM employee discount '

big deal! if they would have given that to me last yr, i would have most likely bought at least one g.m. car. but they wouldnt, and i didnt.

o

I loved the commercials "I'm proud to work for the number one car company". How funny! As if the reason they're the number one carmakers is because they make the best cars in the world. Growth hasn't come from an enhanced market share, but by global acquisitions. And really, if the cars are that good, why do they have to throw so much cash on the hood so people will buy them??? I'm not saying they should go on TV and say that they have just an "average" product, but I think a little candor on their part would be a good idea.

o

The employee discount is a joke anyway.There must be people who pay sticker price?Then think there getting a deal.When if they had a clue how to negotiate a price they would get in for that price and more then likley less any day of the year.

o

We bought our last vehicle (dodge) on an employee discount. It's true that it was no big deal. Ordered the vehicle and got it for invoice. The advantage was we didn't have to negotiate. Invoice on that vehicle was $9000 below msrp. I suppose anyone could have gotten the same price but they would have had to determine the invoice price before going in. Then fight with a salesman all day while they do their shuck and jive routine. The factory doubled the kick back the dealership usually gets to make up for what they supposedly didn't make above invoice.

o

According to the Wall Street Journal, offering the employee discount to all buyers is creating a lot of traffic in the showrooms, and does represent a substantial discount over what consumers were previously paying for vehicles.

A few example vehicle prices were shown in the article, and the employee discount was affording consumers about $1,000 to $2,000 of additional discounts over the Edmunds.com "True Market Value" price of many vehicles. Discounts are less on lower prices vehicles than on higher priced ones.

o

My contention was not with the discount. It is with GMs timing in announcing the layoff (and the magnitude). I know by now we should all be used to layoffs, downsizing, terminations, etc... But when you really think about it, 25,000 employees is a heck of a lot of people. And all that so their stockholders can get their due shares?

I appreciate that the big automakers want to offer discounts, but not at the expense of terminating 25,000 employees. This action does not motivate me to run out and buy a GM vehicle. Even if it were to be a great discount.

o

I see your point, but the problem is that the layoffs are actually overdue. GM is way overstaffed compared to the competition. They tried to avoid the layoffs hoping that sales would increase, but they haven't.

o

Man what a deal save a few bucks on a depreciating assest that in four years looses 60% of its value. All we need is a bigger truck for those watermelons. Heck buy ten since they are such a deal now thats a big watermelon truck, talk about some bumps and bruises. Ouch

o

"Man what a deal save a few bucks on a depreciating assest that in four years looses 60% of its value. All we need is a bigger truck for those watermelons. Heck buy ten since they are such a deal now thats a big watermelon truck, talk about some bumps and bruises. Ouch"

Well said.

o

Similar to the 0% deals in the past. When this employee discount deals expire how will they get customers back in without discounting as much or more?

o

***Similar to the 0% deals in the past. When this employee discount deals expire how will they get customers back in without discounting as much or more?***

Hehe. That's a lot of product lines to rebrand. If they are well built products, they don't need do go this low to to sell. Reliability/quality sells itself.

o

Reliability and Quality must be pretty good then.Because there are a lot of GM vevicals on the road.

o

if they would have given me the employee lease price last yr, i would have leased a 9-3 saab. but they wouldnt give it to me so, bought somthing else. oh well their loss.

o

GM is trying to sell some pretty well made cars and trucks today but all I read is that the vehicles are "unexiting". And I must agree. The Malibu? Does "vanilla" come to mind? The Aztec? What rocket scientist designed that? And they killed the Camaro for a $43,000 toy pickup? Make that truck $25,000 and they won't keep them in the lot. And it only took 5 years but they are finally coming out with a PT Cruiser. Designed by the same guy that did Chrysler's car.
It looks like a mini '53 panel truck!
GM is a bloated, top heavy dinosaur. It needs to get lean. And I also read they might be killing off another division if it doesn't make money soon. Maybe they should let AM General go back to making military vehicles instead of rebuilding Tahoes.

o

To those who say, "If it was any good it wouldn't be on sale," I am wondering if you apply that same illogic to everything you buy, or just to cars? Because I sure have saved a lot of money over the years buying things on sale. I guess the "sharp consumer" doesn't do that anymore, but shuns the sale and goes for something at full price.

Also, several GM models have among the lowest depreciation rates in their market segments. This is true of the pickup trucks, some of the SUVs, and some of the higher end car lines.

o

Well said cowboyind.I still think the employee discount is a joke.Because the price is what it can be bought for any day of the year.But GM does have stonger trade in value then other brands.

Not just the top of the line stuff either.Ford and Dodge has poor resale value.Around here you do not see Honda,Toyota.etc on the used lots.There whole saled out to the used lots in the big cities.My local Chevy Buick dealer I dought would take a Rice burner in on trade.If he did the owner would take a beating.It would be a back row special until the Whole sale buyer picked it up with his car carrier and hauled it off to Yuppieville.

o

**Also, several GM models have among the lowest depreciation rates in their market segments. This is true of the pickup trucks, some of the SUVs, and some of the higher end car lines.**

I agree, but I think it's time they slimmed down. Drop a few product lines and build a few outstanding products instead of trying to compete with every manufacturer on every level. Too much competition for that anymore.

BTW, I'm not getting the connection some are making with the promotion to reduce inventory with the announcement of layoffs. The layoffs were going to happen anyway. They're not funding the so called discount by firing employees. They're loosing money and have too much inventory. The promotion is to reduce inventory, the layoffs are to cut costs. Two different things.

o

Cowboy : To those who say, "If it was any good it wouldn't be on sale," I am wondering if you apply that same illogic to everything you buy, or just to cars? Because I sure have saved a lot of money over the years buying things on sale. I guess the "sharp consumer" doesn't do that anymore, but shuns the sale and goes for something at full price.

Earthworm : I have always viewed "sale items" with suspicion.. There is always a reason for this, which may or may not benefit the consumer..

Pays to read the expiration date , which applied to milk and cars - but with cars, being "expired" or pass or obsolete is not necessarily a minus. This depends on many things, makes buying things a tough assignment...

Also, several GM models have among the lowest depreciation rates in their market segments. This is true of the pickup trucks, some of the SUVs, and some of the higher end car lines.

E-worm : Proof that GM is doing some things right..

Trouble with GM is that it is much like a huge ship of the seas with an undersized rudder...

I believe they may be too large for their own good. Nothing new here, GM has been too big for 50 years...

IMO, it is unbelievably foolish to state that they are going to lay off so many at one time..
Do they not have a publicity department, or is this another rudderless ship ??
Layoffs should occur on a "as needed basis", even one at a time.
No need to tell the world about it...

o

**IMO, it is unbelievably foolish to state that they are going to lay off so many at one time..
Do they not have a publicity department, or is this another rudderless ship ??
Layoffs should occur on a "as needed basis", even one at a time.
No need to tell the world about it...**

Happens all the time earthworm. The company, though not in trouble is headed that way. I don't know how many people work for the company, but I wouldn't be surprised if 25k represents even 1% of it's work force. One guy at a time won't do much. 25k alone won't do much. The reason for it to be made public is...well for one it's news. Second, investors want to know things are being done to improve the situation before they all start to bail on them.

o

"To those who say, "If it was any good it wouldn't be on sale," I am wondering if you apply that same illogic to everything you buy, or just to cars? Because I sure have saved a lot of money over the years buying things on sale. I guess the "sharp consumer" doesn't do that anymore, but shuns the sale and goes for something at full price."

Oh come on, cowboykind, we've all be to the department store before. Lower value items are generally discounted in an attempt to make up for the loss the consumer will receive when purchasing it. I went on intellichoice and compared the Cobalt, Malibu, Trailblazer, and Venture to the Civic/Corolla, Accord/Camry, Pilot/4Runner, and Odyssey/Sienna. In every case the, the Japanese competition was superior in value. In some cases, such as comparing the Trailblazer to the Pilot and 4Runner there was an $8-9K dollar difference in depreciation between the Trailblazer and Pilot. The numbers are much the same with the minivan market. It seems the only vehicles that have high resale value in the GM lineup are those without a lot of foreign competition. The Impala has good resale value, but its only competitor is the Toyota Avalon; Honda and Nissan don't have entries targeting that demographic. The same goes for the large SUV and truck arena; Toyota and Nissan have just entered into it within the last few years and are taking ground. As I've said before, give them time.

o

Huh? You said, "...we've all be to the department store before. Lower value items are generally discounted in an attempt to make up for the loss the consumer will receive when purchasing it."

So that would be, for instance, the "loss" you receive when you buy a winter coat at the end of the season, or the "loss" you receive by clipping coupons and getting a few bucks off. That statement you made makes no sense. Products are discounted for many reasons, such as end of season, end of model year, excessive inventory, and new model/style being introduced. None of these have anything to do with the quality or serviceability of what's being bought.

o

"Lower value items are generally discounted in an attempt to make up for the loss the consumer will receive when purchasing it."

Speaking generally and not specifically about automakers, I don't suppose that the retailer or the manufacturer knows that and charges a higher price on some products simply to create "perceived value" and make it sell better than it would at a lower price?

o

The employee discount made me look, although I still might wait a while for end of model year sales. I'm in no hurry.
GM has done badge engineering so long that they need to collapse their brands some more. Chevy, Cadillac, Trucks, maybe something between Chevy and Cadillac.

o

Maybe more like Ford Motor Company with but one "middle class" car.
They tried the Edsel back in '57 - '58 thru '60. This was nothing more than a strangely restyled Mercury or Ford..
I do not think Ford will ever try to copy a GM concept again..

Chrysler also has tried the "full" line with Plymouth, Dodge, Desoto, Chrysler, and for a while Imperial..

This did not work...

But, for GM, the Pontiac can be the "sporty" brand for the young, and after they age and become sensible, they can buy a Buick..

o

"So that would be, for instance, the "loss" you receive when you buy a winter coat at the end of the season, or the "loss" you receive by clipping coupons and getting a few bucks off. That statement you made makes no sense. Products are discounted for many reasons, such as end of season, end of model year, excessive inventory, and new model/style being introduced. None of these have anything to do with the quality or serviceability of what's being bought."

Yes, the loss in value. While perhaps its not as obvious at supermarkets and department stores, its still the same reasoning. The loss that is generated by (let's use your example) a winter coat. Lets say this particular coat doesn't have as effective insulation in it, and therefore is an inferior product. Therefore, in order to sell the product, the retailer must re-evaluate its value, and sell it for less than other coats to increase the quantity demanded. An end of season sale: Well, is there less value in last seasons style? Yes, in some markets. And of course end of model year sales; as automotive technology increases, new standard features may be offered in newer models coming out with little to no price increase, in order to sell the older models, they discount them because they are worth less. For example, the new Accord model came out with a timing chain instead of the traditional belt that would have to be replaced at 100,000 miles. Does that affect serviceability and quality? One would think. And since that owner may have to replace that belt one day to the tune of $400 dollars, does that represent a loss in value? Yes. And yes, just maybe, you'll find that very valuable item at sale price. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes you get lucky. But after analyzing the numbers, I don't think this "employee discount" marketing ploy represents the latter.

o
Hot Dogs and Automobiles

"Speaking generally and not specifically about automakers, I don't suppose that the retailer or the manufacturer knows that and charges a higher price on some products simply to create "perceived value" and make it sell better than it would at a lower price?"

Of course they do. Speaking generally as you were, when a new product or model is deployed against a competitor, and more specifically a competitor with a solid reputation, they will try to imitate it, even price. Look at the history of the hotdog that really started at Coney Island, NY. A young entrepreneur who worked at a hotdog shop later decided to open up his own. His wedge against the competition, only one other stand, was that he would sell the hotdogs at half the price of his former employer. Both were selling 100% Beef hotdogs. No one went to Nathan's at Coney Island because no one believed that he could deliver the same product for half the price. Customers were suspicious that the hotdogs weren't all beef. He finally ended up offering free hotdogs to doctors only if they came in wearing their white lab coats. All to create a "healthy" view of the product.

o
Hotdogs & Automobiles Cont..

Sorry I accidently posted when I wasn't finished:

The question that is posed in the above post is whether or not Nathan would have been better off to copy the price of his competitor to create the perceived value instead of enduring many months of losses in profitability.

o

When Shell (under the Equilon name) owned the rights to the Havoline motor oil name for a limited period of time, towards the end of that time period they sold it at a very low price (close to $1/quart) in what appears to have been an attempt to position it as a cheap oil. The price reductions definitely hurt Havoline's reputation.

ChevronTexaco now owns the sole rights to the Havoline motor oil name, and they have increased it's price to around $1.50/quart in an attempt to undo the perception of Havoline as a cheap oil.

o

all the car companys offer discounts its nothing new. employee discount,end of model yr discount, fall inventory reduction discount, and on and on. companys build cars and they want to sell cars. i dont care how much i like one car over another, in the end it comes down to price for me. the cheaper the better. after all its just a machine that takes you from point a to point b.

o

When it comes to the layoffs, there isn't a company out there that will never lay off it's employees. Except of course the Federal Government. If you work for someone else you always stand the chance you will lose your job when it's not convienient for you, but the employer. If the company can't afford you, you go. Buh Bye! Nobody is guaranteed a job. A number of years ago they closed a Ford plant in Mahwah, NJ. They built the Fairmont. That car was such a pile of garbage that plant deserved to close!
When I had a "real job" I was laid off. So I decided to not let it happen again and went into business for myself.

o

When Ford morphed the Fairmont into the Mustang it wasn't such a pile of garbage.

o

***Reliability and Quality must be pretty good then.Because there are a lot of GM vevicals on the road.***

In your cow town maybe. There are also a lot of NON GM vehicles on the roads. Maybe instead of replying to my every post, take that time and work on your spellings!!!

o

Wow miss typed vehical.Thanks for pointing that out to me.Here is a link that might be useful?You city type crack me up.If there are not 250 stop lights in Yuppie Ville.So you can set in traffic and get a Torn transmission your just not happy?Out here in cow town we do not even understand what a Torn transmission is?We also do not use spell check.We never spent $20,000 a year to go to college and get a $60'000 a year job either.When we can work constuction or drive a truck or be a heavy machinery operator and make $120.000 a year.I can not spell or type worth a s!@# but atleast I do not have a Torn transmission and have to stoop so low to buy a Rice Burner.Oh I for got there built in Cow town these days.I bet the Tennesse factory worker who put your transmission in is from Cow town also.You think he gives a rip about a city car he will never be caught dead driving?

Here is a link that might be useful: Help

o

I'm not sure what is going on but I think a valid statement can be made some GM vehicles may survive longer in the non-city driving environment as they just do not show quality long lasting durability to deal with the conditions of stop & Go, potholes, extreme weather conditions, etc.

Heck, I did attend college and majored in science and I know a car/truck has a better chance on a highway or country road at 50 mph vs. Broadway at Times Sq at 4-6pm daily.

However, with that said, the states with the most car sales are CA & NY which both have their share of traffic so GM is losing maybe 50% of potential sales if those core markets are going foreign for the reasons stated above.

o
'Miss Type

"Wow miss typed vehical.Thanks for pointing that out to me.Here is a link that might be useful?You city type crack me up.If there are not 250 stop lights in Yuppie Ville.So you can set in traffic and get a Torn transmission your just not happy?....."

Wow, if the above post doesn't show everyone just how low brow you are, I'm not sure what will. No, you didn't "miss type" vehicle again, you have absolutely no idea how to spell it. Look, I understand that you're the type of person who abhors any form of intellectualism what-so-ever. Now, I'm not sure what the going rate is for truck drivers and construction workers in your area, but nationally the average wage for those jobs isn't that high. However, that is irrelevant, why should everyone only want to do work in areas that you see as superior to those "yuppie" jobs? Fact is, construction workers wouldn't have a job if they weren't building things for those in other professions. You are xenophobic (you'll have to look that one up) and your mind is small - very small. I may have gone to college (as if it were something to look down on), but on average I'll earn one-million more dollars in my lifetime than someone who didn't. Perhaps then you should go to college, or continue on with you "simple is always better" routine, and continue to live life blissfully ignorant.

o

calm down there j.d., i used to work pipeline construction, then i moved into the office, from grunt to yuppie, kind of gruntty haha. and i have beat the tar out of several fine g.m. ford, dodge,toyota, and nissan trucks. and now i drive 2 very nice hyundai cars, hyundai/kia employs my sister and brother in law. used to drive g.m. cars. but i think its only right i try and support those companys that support my family. but if they didnt build a good product i wouldnt buy it. i have had many cars and trucks of many makes, i have found little or no quality difference, no matter what make. hope my spelling is up to par, if not well too bad!

o

Two words: dirt roads.

o
For those who need additional explanation..

..dirt roads are quite common in "cow towns". They're hard on the suspension, and hard on the engine. How's that? The air filter doesn't always catch everything (not to mention that sometimes there are vacuum leaks on engines that can go undetected) and dirt contains silicon, which does an excellent job of wearing the engine out. In fact, oil analysis can be used to determine how effective the air filtration on an engine is by measuring how much silicon is in the used oil.

Of course, if we all went to college, we'd be smart enough to not draw conclusions about the reliability of vehicles based on anecdotal evidence like the lack of GM vehicles in the city, wouldn't we?

o

Sorry, I don't believe there is a correlation between a GM vehicles durability and their sales figures in urban areas. Again, the reason for the increase in the amount of foreign vehicles (especially on the west coast) is that they are generally more fuel-efficient. Where do they sell the largest percentage of hybrid vehicles? In markets like California, with high gas prices and plenty of pollution. Also, after looking at the demographics, you'll soon see that more affluent buyers are more likely to purchase foreign automobiles. Those who are affluent are often college educated. Wealthy, affluent buyers are more likely to purchase foreign automobiles. Wealthy individuals are more likely to live in affluent areas of the country, like cities and in the state of California (the 5th largest economy in the world).

o

one of the best parts of leaving the country and moving to the city NO DIRT ROADS OR RURAL MAILBOXES! haha always called them a target on a post.

o

oaa9898 now remember im just a dumb cow town guy.So it might take awhile for that to sink in.But basically in dumb cow town words.I think you said if your smart and daddy sent you to college.You will live in the City or California?Bla Haaa haaa thats a good one.I dont care who you are that there was funny.

Then why is it people are begging to buy land out here in Cow Town USA and there from the City?To get away from all the City hassles.There buying up old Hog lots and paying us Hicks $6000.00 per 1/4 acre for the benifit.Now whos the stupid ones.They drink that water from those old wells full of run off. They landscape there lawns where old dead hogs are buried.Hee Haw aint country life grand LOL.

The nice thing is we have a few 1000 acres we would gladly sell them.Before they would be getting to close to are other few 1000 acres.We like the want to be counrty people.There are new bread and butter out here in Cow Town.We farm the good high ground.We sell the bad low ground to the city people.Then invest the money in good high farm ground.We make $24000 per acre on the college city want to be farmers.Then invest it in high farm ground at $3000.00 per acre.That pays for its self.Until we decide to let the City people have it.Yea I never went to college.I was to busy sweating on the land to get to where I could buy more land.Because I seen what was coming 20 years later.Later has arived so who is the stupid one?We sold out the Cows and Hogs years ago.Strictly a grain farm and independent subdivision developer now days.Wait till the last of the livestock farms are gone.Then you can buy your meat from Japan or Korea.I know it comes from a grocery store?I forgot I was talking to the City folks for a second there.I can not spell or type I never went to college.I never needed to Bla Haa Haa Haaa!!Hee Haw!!!!!!

o

g.m. sales are down for many reasons i dont think quality is a main reason. back in the 60s when i was a teen, you know what i can remember of the 60s haha. everyone drove big 3 cars with a vw bug, renault or an m.g. thrown in on occasion. wasnt that much competition. when i got out of school, the toyotas datsuns etc were starting to show up. now theres people like my sister, who never has owned anything but a foreign car, and makes her living designing them. most of my family drives foreign cars now, and probably never would have, but i have 5 family members employed by foreign car companys. just the normal evolution of the industry. and are there really any american companys? g.m. ford. their both world companys. give g.m. a few yrs and they will lean down and level off. or they will go under. well run companys will survive, poorly run ones wont. g.m. builds some nice product,and theres a market for it.

o

***I can not spell or type worth a s!@# but atleast I do not have a Torn transmission and have to stoop so low to buy a Rice Burner.***

At least I am not ashame to drive the Rice Burner like I was of the Cavalier. It is associated with people like you - low class, uneducated and lack of refinement.

o

Is that why you owned one then Lexie?You city people are so Crabby and stuck on your self.Its amasing no wonder there is so much crime and murders in the cities?You think the Counrty bumpkins are low class?LOL I have been to several of your filthy cities to see where the real trash lives.Out here we only have trailer trash.But we run them off before they infest are area.We drive them back to the cities where they belong.Right along with there import brand trash mobiles.

o

Well Im a country folk and I just like to say Johndeere doesnt speak on the behalf of us. Wife and iwil lsoon be in the market for a new car, the Echo or the Scion XA are at the top of our lists, but if we coul dget a good enough offer from GM then we "may" consider going the GM route, not likely though, but its possible

o

Hey, how 'bout those Orioles?

Back on track, in eastern cities, people got used to driving imports because with the cramped streets you needed smaller cars for manuverability and you still wanted decent quality. For decades, the Big 3 built lousy small cars - if you wanted quality you needed to move up to the big cars that they had a high markup on. That didn't mean the imports did uniformly better - Fiat, Renault and others were just lousy in different ways, but the Japanese sure caught on to quality. W. Edwards Deming was a god-like figure to them
The Big 3 are over that particular mistake, but the perception lives on.

o

***Out here we only have trailer trash.But we run them off before they infest are area.***

I gather it is the other way around by the intelligence level of your posts. I have nothing against small town folks. If you read my post carefully, I said in 'your cow town' is where you see a lot of GM cars. I got the POS because it was economical (poor college student at one point). I was ashame to own it due to its poor reliability and now I come to realize that there are freaks like you (gives GM its new low) who are closed mind individuals who cannot accept the fact GM is going down the drain. You have to attack everyone that has anything to negative to say about it. Too bad GM does not pay you for your loyalty.

o

"oaa9898 now remember im just a dumb cow town guy.So it might take awhile for that to sink in.But basically in dumb cow town words.I think you said if your smart and daddy sent you to college.You will live in the City or California?Bla Haaa haaa thats a good one.I dont care who you are that there was funny. "

oaa9898>>The reason I said people live in California, is due to the economic factors associated with the state, it being the fifth largest economy in the world. When the economy is of a bigger scale, usually there are more job opportunities then in say, Illinois.

"Then why is it people are begging to buy land out here in Cow Town USA and there from the City?To get away from all the City hassles.There buying up old Hog lots and paying us Hicks $6000.00 per 1/4 acre for the benifit.Now whos the stupid ones.They drink that water from those old wells full of run off. They landscape there lawns where old dead hogs are buried.Hee Haw aint country life grand LOL."

oaa9898>>>Simple, as cities grow the suburbs and surrounding urban areas are pushed out from the center. More people need more space, and you're in their way. If you want to discuss property values, then perhaps you should take notice that they are the highest in California. Appreciation in housing costs and land are generally a function of demand. With water purification systems (such as water purification plants) run off is not always a problem, and more things have lived and died on that land then hogs. Who cares?

"The nice thing is we have a few 1000 acres we would gladly sell them.Before they would be getting to close to are other few 1000 acres.We like the want to be counrty people.There are new bread and butter out here in Cow Town.We farm the good high ground.We sell the bad low ground to the city people......"

oaa9898>>> Its probably irrelevant to these "city" people whether the land they build on is "good" or "bad" for farming, since they won't be farming. With the technological revolution in agriculture, land once considered "bad" for farming is now very productive. And thanks to these college educated city people, there will be better seeds, fertilizers, and irrigation systems so that yields are increased even on the most barren of land. What they are paying you per acre of land is chump change to them, and their land will appreciate and provide a return on their investment, so its not as if you are ripping them off. Remember, these are educated people; theyre not so stupid as to be taken advantage of by the likes of you.

o

Well I am not sure how things got so far off topic?Except a few College Fill in the Blank types that think there better then the next hit a nerve with me.I love to put pink skinned soft hands type in there place when ever possible.

When ever someone like my self gets them backed into a corner.They like to throw education level in there face.I never went to college.I sent my daughter to college.She is now a surgical nurse.Here education was paid for by this dumb cow town farm hick.Reason she went to college is because she more then likley was going to marry a college boy.That worried me because they do not seem to be very work brittle.I was afraid instead of supporting my daughter and future grandkids.He would think the education he recieved would go to his head and he would feel he was intitled to a soft easy office job.That allowed him to play golf.Rather then work a second job.Glad I did send here to school because as figured she is the bread winner in that family.Yea you guessed it she married one.You can pick your enimies but you just can not pick your son inlaws.

My sons thought about college and both have a little.But they paid every dime of the tuition.They went part time and worked full time to fund it.Because I told them I would not fund a life on easy street.There men and men are made to work and have rough hands and a tan and not know what a sun burn is.There made to have one set of dress clothes and you sure do not wear them to work.Like there sissyfied brother inlaw.There 4 and 7 years younger then there brotherinlaw.They could buy him out and pay cash then donate his worth to the salvation army.That is sad since the youngest is only 23 and in the USAF just back from Iraq.After defending his country during his first tour of duty.He might be going back not sure yet?I told him if he wanted to further his education that was great.He is working for that now.Rather then hiding in a 4 year hangover to avoid serving his country.That so many are glad to see going down the drain by supporting other countries and bad mouthing what we have right here.I bet you even have a yellow ribbon and a USA flag on your Support the other guys cars?Sad sad sad!!!!Sort of a 2 faced way of life I feel.

I realise I pI$$ED off a few.Thats fine you do not like me and that makes everything just about even.What strikes me as funny is a person complaining and belly aching about the lemon $14000.00 car she felt she got took on?You throw education in my face yet gripe about low cost shump change cars like it put you in the poor house?If your so smart and educated and better then me why would a shump change $14000.00 car.Put you in such a bad mood that you would feel the need to degrade a person assumming he was a undereducated cow town hick trash poor farm boy?You would just trade it in and forget about it.Life goes on its a cheap priced car.Not a 10 million dollar house on a hill.With all your brains and never make a mistake capabilities.Why are you driving compact car in the first place?Did you loose your fortune in the stock markets.Rather then investing it in land and have to hope social security does not run out or your puppet on a string college job pension does not go belly up along with your 401K plan?Dont blame the cow town Farmers that put your food on your table.Also the college boys are not the ones that made are land productive and developed the fertiliser and seed and herbicides needed to double are yields in the last 40 years.We developed the technology raised the seed and made the differance.Sure some of are Farm family college educated kids had a huge hand in it.But they sure never came from the cities.They think are corn is what is in a can setting on a shelf LOL.They think so what we do not eat that hard dry corn they raise.Or those Soybeans or wheat.I have acctually had college city people mention that stupid comment.I just laugh and when I clean out a grain bin I relive my self in there future wheat bread or cornflakes.Or the other numerous products you use daily.We do not raise vegetables and milk cows and feed the chicken out here in cowtown.

The only thing that we need to improve on is.Making are profits land in our pocket 100%.Rather then some sissyboy sitting on the Board of trade.Sort of cutting out the middle man.Make the price you pay all ours.Rather then allowing food to be so cheap at the supermarket.Then say if you do not like it.Buy your food from the same people you get your cars.

As my dad saids about so many of the big fancy word better then us type.If there so smart how come they do not have anything to show for there selves except a house and a few cars in a parking lot with a lawn you can walk in 2 minutes and its not even paid for and will never make them a dime unless they sell it if they manage to get it paid for?There just not a pimple on a Country boys arse!

o
RE: Also more to add.

oaa9898>>> Its probably irrelevant to these "city" people whether the land they build on is "good" or "bad" for farming, since they won't be farming. With the technological revolution in agriculture, land once considered "bad" for farming is now very productive. And thanks to these college educated city people, there will be better seeds, fertilizers, and irrigation systems so that yields are increased even on the most barren of land. What they are paying you per acre of land is chump change to them, and their land will appreciate and provide a return on their investment, so its not as if you are ripping them off. Remember, these are educated people; theyre not so stupid as to be taken advantage of by the likes of you.

LOL what water purification system?This is not Califorinia?They have a well on the old hog lot.The run off went into the well.Only thing that used the water was the hogs.All of us dumb cow town people knew better then to drink it.We would not even eat the pork.We raised it for the packers.That processed the pork and sent it to California.LOL

The 1000 acres we sold was not the population of cow town?It was are botton ground from are farm.We got the $25000.00 per acre sold.Not the residents of cow town.How can the buyers make a dime on that poor investment?They live there and most will take 30 years to pay for it and the house they built.They just paid 3 times what they paid with interest.They have to sell it for 3 times what they paid to break even.They only live there and it does not make them a dime.

LOL and you think im a under educated hick.Do the math on the 1000 acres sold for 6000 dollar per 1/4 acre $24000.00 per acre times 1000 acres sold.That was originaly bought by working hard and living like a poor cow town guy.Farmed and made a profit to pay for and only paid $500.00 per acre to $1800.00 per acre.You could not make that kind of money if you had 9 lives.But I can not spell and do not give a rip.Oh and I seen southern California.Its a desert!!!!!You can only raise weeds out there.We here in cow town.Take are kids out to the sand box and say.Look this is sand.It might be nice to play in.But its worthless unless you like living in a dessert.I also here the houses slide off the sides of a cliff in the northern part of California.What a great investment!

o

so j.d. i take it you wont be packing up the v.w. bus and heading to california anytime soon?

o

Can't you guys play nice?

Lexie bought what turned out to be a lemmon so she's concluded the largest car company it the world sells nothing but junk. Granted, that's a pretty small sample to judge by, but still understandable.

I have the same type of feelings about VW's. At least I owned three POS's in a row before I concluded that company produced nothing but junk and deserves to die. I'm not as stupid as it sounds buying three of them. The first two were beetles and purchased as investments shortly after the oil embargo days in the 70's. Bought ones looking a little rough for a few hundred bucks. They were still late model low mileage cars. Hammered out a few dents and sold them for $2000 each. The third was an '81 rabbit diesel that I purchased in the pursuit of an economical commutor car. It wasn't very old when I got it and had somewhere around 30k miles on it. Seemed like every weekend I was tinkering fixing what broke or fell appart during the week. Regularly saw abandoned VW rabbits along side the road in those dsys. When the head gasket started to leak that was it. I dumped it asap while it still ran ok. I know all VW's can't be that bad. The company has been around a long time and there are people who think they're the best. To me they were garbage in the past and always will be. Lexie got the same thing going with GM based on the experience she had.

o

bill h your guessed correctly.No VW for me and California is not a place on my list to visit.

Gary I try to always play nice.But if im treated like dirt from someone who simply does not agree with what im saying.Then has the nerve to try to cut me down.Simply to change the subject and to act like a third grade school kid in the process of doing so.I will gladly put there foot where it belongs for them.Brings out the devil in me.I just call them as I see it.I said a few things that were out of line and I appologise to anyone I might have offended.But when someone tries to degrade me with personal attacks like Freak.They have it coming and I will not bend over backwards to play nice with that person.

o

Gary - You add a great point. Everyone has their own limited experience a brand and no one person can state their experience reflects an entire car company.

I have had EXCELLENT experiences with VW - 80 Rabbit Diesel, 82 Rabbit Diesel, a GTI, 86 Jetta (even though its 5 speed tranmission would machine itself dead) and most recently 01 Passat.

Outside of a fan belt, popped hose and my own insanity of not tightening a radiator cap - all were reliable and gave me the impression of greatly built cars. I know this isn't the experience of all VW owners but my experiences include spending the money for maintenance and getting Bosch part vs. after-market knock-offs!
With the price of gas, I would buy another VW Rabbit if I could find one but wouldn't trust its maintenance as most mechanics have no clue what to do with diesel engines in the US. Anyway, on the opposite of this I rented a semi-new Dodge Neon which was leaking stuff at the end of my short rental period, and an Oldsmobile Alero with only 5,000 mi with a front windshield falling off until I used duct tape to keep it attached so I wouldn't be sued if I had to stop quickly. My impression American cars sux but I also have no complaints of the Impala and I know we make a great truck (but I hate SUVs/Pick-Ups).

o

"With the price of gas, I would buy another VW Rabbit if I could find one but wouldn't trust its maintenance as most mechanics have no clue what to do with diesel engines in the US."

You could buy the service manual and learn what it needs maintenance wise. Then, for those things you don't want to do yourself, find a mechanic willing to do exactly what you tell him (or her). My mechanic is like that--if I take my car to him, he knows I'm going to tell him exactly what needs to be replaced, and he's ok with that.

o

"When ever someone like my self gets them backed into a corner.They like to throw education level in there face.I never went to college.I sent my daughter to college.She is now a surgical nurse.Here education was paid for by this dumb cow town farm hick.Reason she went to college is because she more then likley was going to marry a college boy.That worried me because they do not seem to be very work brittle.I was afraid instead of supporting my daughter and future grandkids.He would think the education he recieved would go to his head and he would feel he was intitled to a soft easy office job.That allowed him to play golf.Rather then work a second job.Glad I did send here to school because as figured she is the bread winner in that family.Yea you guessed it she married one.You can pick your enimies but you just can not pick your son inlaws."

If there has been anyone acting superiorly this whole time it's you. Don't think I didn't notice the "I'm simpler therefore smarter" act that you haven't pulled off very successfully. You speak of educated urban people as if they're all just a bunch of materialistic busy bodies that don't have a clue of what "real" life is. You're ethnocentric and don't even realize it. First of all, you assumed that YOU only see GM cars and therefore they had to be the most durable. As you further your arguments, you say that only people who farm or labor make an honest living, that everyone else just plays golf all day. You have no tolerance for diversity in ideas, you think people should only do what you what you find to be of value. It is clear from this that you have no concept of reality outside of your own area. So your son-in-law doesn't have a job, therefore all college-educated people don't like to work? Wrong, you don't think they like to work because they don't do the type of work that you consider being laborious enough. Pouring over tax returns doesn't seem physically tiring, but it is exhausting never the less. We live in an information economy, its not who has the strongest back, but the sharpest mind.

Your assertion that by buying a Japanese car I'm supporting terrorists isn't only false, it's offensive. It also shows that you have no idea how the world works. How could you? You don't even know how things work in this country. Those educated yuppies keep us ahead of the other guys. Who do you think designs laser guided missiles? Pig Farmers? You make me laugh, but it isn't funny how clueless you are.

"I realise I pI$$ED off a few.Thats fine you do not like me and that makes everything just about even.What strikes me as funny is a person complaining and belly aching about the lemon $14000.00 car she felt she got took on?You throw education in my face yet gripe about low cost shump change cars like it put you in the poor house?If your so smart and educated and better then me why would a shump change $14000.00 car.Put you in such a bad mood that you would feel the need to degrade a person assumming he was a undereducated cow town hick trash poor farm boy?You would just trade it in and forget about it.Life goes on its a cheap priced car.Not a 10 million dollar house on a hill.With all your brains and never make a mistake capabilities.Why are you driving compact car in the first place?Did you loose your fortune in the stock markets.Rather then investing it in land and have to hope social security does not run out or your puppet on a string college job pension does not go belly up along with your 401K plan?Dont blame the cow town Farmers that put your food on your table.Also the college boys are not the ones that made are land productive and developed the fertiliser and seed and herbicides needed to double are yields in the last 40 years.We developed the technology raised the seed and made the differance.Sure some of are Farm family college educated kids had a huge hand in it.But they sure never came from the cities.They think are corn is what is in a can setting on a shelf LOL.They think so what we do not eat that hard dry corn they raise.Or those Soybeans or wheat.I have acctually had college city people mention that stupid comment.I just laugh and when I clean out a grain bin I relive my self in there future wheat bread or cornflakes.Or the other numerous products you use daily.We do not raise vegetables and milk cows and feed the chicken out here in cowtown."

So someone you know was ripped off buying a 14,000 car, and therefore all Japanese cars are lemons, and they put everyone in "the poor house"? Statistics and my pocketbook suggest otherwise. I'm better off driving a car that costs less to buy and run, and has a better resale value. I didn't "assume" you were an uneducated cow town hick, I correctly guessed that this was the case, and with every post, you prove me right.

When did I say I was driving a compact car, anyways? I drive a midsize sedan. So which one of your friends genetically altered a seed of corn to produce a better yield? Or developed the correct bacterial culture to help nitrify your crops? Sorry, research scientists, biologists, botanists, agronomists, and genetic engineers did all-the-above, not you. You couldn't even write a 9th Grader's Lab Report, let alone alter DNA. Whether or not they came from farms is irrelevant. I don't have anything against people who come from the country, I'm one of them, and know many of them, and they're nothing like you. Being from the country doesnt make you stupid; you chose to be that way.

"Oh and I seen southern California.Its a desert!!!!!You can only raise weeds out there."

California is the number one state in agriculture. Are you really this dumb? Have you ever heard of Salinas County? Do you really have that little knowledge about the rest of the world? And as far as home and property value goes, I could try to explain the idea of home equity, but at your level of comprehension, my time would probably be better spent bashing my head against a brickwall.

o

I'm seeing a bit of a rivalry between the "edyoocated urbanites" and the "cow townies". I'm kinda in the middle. I grew up in Northern Noo Joisey and I can assure you they don't PRINT enough money for me to live there again! I live on a DIRT ROAD here in a New England state where 28% of 'em are dirt and we like it just fine thank you!

I also see Californians strutting around acting superior. Now we all know that state is known for their avacodos and almonds. Or as we yokels call it, The Land of the Fruits and Nuts!

It's a big beautiful country out there for the most part. Those that want to literally live on top of each other can do so. Those that want 200 acres to stretch out on can do so too. Neither is wrong. And the grammer that some use is OK too. So what if spelling isn't your strongest point? I just have little tolerance for those that actually think they are BETTER than others because of the vehicle they drive or where they live or the fact they went to college! I have little respect for people that look down their nose at others. Country folk are proud people. And they don't need belittling by urbanites. There's a diner in northern VT that sells bumper stickers. One says: "DONT COMPLAIN ABOUT FARMERS WITH YOUR MOUTH FULL!" I can't tell you how many people actually think food comes from the back of the store! My other favorite is "DON'T LIKE LOGGING? YOU'LL LOVE PLASTIC TOILET PAPER!"

So as that famous Californian said: "Can't we all just get along???"

o

Well if I didnt like my escalade so much Id go for a new one about now....great vehicles.Maybe since hubbys so fed up with his ford trucks I could get hiom one to replace fords ..wouldnt that be great!!!his & her escalades.

o

By the way, I'd like to point out that the same person wrote both of the following paragraphs:

"Also, after looking at the demographics, you'll soon see that more affluent buyers are more likely to purchase foreign automobiles. Those who are affluent are often college educated. Wealthy, affluent buyers are more likely to purchase foreign automobiles. Wealthy individuals are more likely to live in affluent areas of the country, like cities and in the state of California (the 5th largest economy in the world)"

"It's not illogical to assume that similarly sized, weighted & priced vehicles that are competitors of one another are bought by relatively the same demographic. According to demographics published in the 2000 Road Report, the average age for drivers of the Malibu, Grand Am, Accord, Camry, Sonata, Passat, and Maxima are 47, 47, 49, 53, 44, 51 respectively. With the exception of the Passat and Maxima, the average age seems to fall within range of one another. It's not as if were comparing a Honda Civic to a Cadillac Deville. We're comparing vehicles of similar weight and size."

o

Well atleast I seem to have some support from ChristopherH.''I like the dont Bite the Hand that feeds you'' my self.But your saying is a good one also.Thanks for the support.

oaa9898 I never said my son inlaw was unemployed.I meant he is not making what he should be.He could be making more if he was not setting behind a desk pushing a pencil and thinking his work day starts at 9 and ends at 5.

You say California is the number 1 state for ag.Well you must have read that in a book.I personally do not believe everything I read.You might be right.After all you like to point out just how stupid I am.But there is no way it is number 1 in grain or livestock production.Im positive it is number 1 in fruits and nuts.How do you know that a Pig Farmer never developed the laser guided missles?He might have just done that after supper.

This all started over your City people and college people are smarter then the country boy.I just had to put you in your place.I also did a very good job of it.Because it sure pi$$ed you off.I never one time said we are better then you.You however might as well of said you were better then me.You should not cut the country people down.Because you just might be setting along side the road one day.The person who will stop will be a country person.The city people will be to afraid and in to big of a hurry to help you out.Of couse you probably have AAA incase you have a flat.Because there is not a book written on comsence things like changing a tire?

o

"Because there is not a book written on comsence things like changing a tire?"

Actually, it's covered in the owner's manual for the car, but most people don't bother to read it, if it's even in the glove compartment.
I used to work dialup internet tech support years ago; I'm fully aware of how some people refuse to apply the intelligence they often claim to have to the problem at hand.

The best part is when they start arguing with you over the cause of the problem.

o

JD, you didn't really pee in our cornflakes, did you? Now that's just gross. Sure wish you had kept that bit of info to yourself.

o

***You should not cut the country people down.Because you just might be setting along side the road one day.The person who will stop will be a country person.The city people will be to afraid and in to big of a hurry to help you out.Of couse you probably have AAA incase you have a flat.Because there is not a book written on comsence things like changing a tire?***

No one is saying that city people are better than country folks. You put yourself down and we simply agree. Like I said in my previous threads, do you read between the lines or just don't understand what you are reading? J.D. are you sure you are not a 10 year old kid messing with daddy's PC while he's away?

o

I'm gonna show some examples of "country culture". You're out driving and there's a roadside stand selling veggies. You stop and want a dozen ears of corn. There's nobody there. Just a bucket and a sign. "Put money here". You do. and the bucket isn't stolen. And you just take 12 ears of corn.

Another example of rural life is when a kid working at a Sunoco station in VT up and quit. He just locked the door and left during the middle of the day. The owner showed up about 3 hours later to find the kid left the pumps on. The owner thought the worst. She unlocked the door and found money on the floor. The customers realized nobody was there and slipped the money under the door. Credit card people wrote their numbers on pieces of paper and also slipped them under the door. When she tallied up the numbers she said "I owe somebody change!" How many here would just fill the tank and leave?

Country folk don't lock their doors. we leave the keys in the car. We leave the car windows open except at harvest time. If you don't roll up the windows you come back and find tomatoes or zucchini on the front seat.
The center of our town is still the General Store. We buy both groceries as well as a shovel if need be. Seth still will have a credit account for his regulars. "Hey, you're short? Pay me Friday."
Country folk are honest, hard working people. And an overwhelming majority of the farmers up here ARE college educated! They wear blue suits just like the urbanites. It's just a blue denim coverall. And they are businessmen just like everyone else. But when you look down your nose at the guy in the field on a tractor just remember, those tractors cost over 100 grand today!

Another quick story. I was at the General store last winter and some girls stopped in asking for directions. They wanted to get back to the interstate. They were dressed in the LATEST ski wear. An old grizzled Vermonter asked "You girls from New York City?" One said "Yes. And we want to get back to civilization". He said " Ah yes, New York. You have 5 locks on your doors. You have steel clubs on your steering wheels. You have people that will stab you for your leather coat. You can't even enjoy your big park at night. And you call THAT 'civilized?'"

Oh well, it's raining. I guess I'll put my Expedition in 4WD, go down my dirt road to the general store and....

o

***Country folk don't lock their doors. we leave the keys in the car***

What's the point anyway if you live out of nowhere. If people have the intention of rubbing you, locking it wouldn't help so why not let them walk in and take what they want rather than having them break your door and take everything? By the time the sheriff gets to your property, the robber is gone unless you shoot him with w/ your own shot gun. Your nearest neighbors is 20 miles away so who they wouldn't know. So it is pointless to lock the doors.

If one of the folks down the road steals your car, he/she better leave town because who would not notice that he/she is DRIVING your car? When there are more people, the chances of murder/robbery occuring is greater. People are people regardless of where they live. If they have the intention to kill/steal, they will do it.

o

Whoa - you folks need to calm down. I live in the city and would like to give you a different experience:

I can jog/walk in the park in the early morning hours and see a variety of other folks exercising from infant to elderly of all different races/groups.

Later in the day, I can return to the park and enjoy a free movie/concert with random strangers while drinking wine. Or visit Lincoln Center for free swing dance lessons.
Afterwards, I can walk to have late night food from one continent with two of my best friends from two different continents which gives me a more worldly experience.

Some folks - are afraid of difference and change while others embrace experiencing different things and people.

Regarding, rural environments - let us not forget every so often we hear of Cowboy Joe - who decides to:
a. bomb a federal building in Okl.
b. redneck from the mountains decides to denonate a bomb at the Olympics
c. guy decides to shoot up a church/social function and himself
d. kids go to school and because they are tease resulting in Columbine
e. most serial killers live or grew up in the rural environment.

My point is we can all stereotype others living conditions but unless you experience it first hand a visit or film footage doesn't give anyone the authority to claim experience in any area.

Heck, I view Africa and Brazil on TV and think they both miserable but until I visit first hand - I have no authority as they may live happier than the US (both rural and urban) with our anti-depressant drugs and poor health conditions.

o

Im country....proud of it.We see things out here city folk dont ,air is a little cleaner.My doors are locked we also have guns,where do you think your milk ,beef,chicken,vegetables come from????not the fairy.I lived half my life in city,half in country you could not get me back in city.

o

i dont lock my house or car doors that often. i live in an old suburb of detroit. i used to live in the country you couldnt get back in the country. our fairys cut hair.

o

My parents were country, and I'm proud of them. But I can see from previous posts here ... that I fall under the category of "yuppie from yuppieville". I was born in California but now living in Arizona. And yep, I love avocados! Gimme California sushi rolls stuffed with avocados any day! yum yum! ;-)

btw, being from the country doesn't entitle anyone free reign to be rude & crude. Yes, country life is beautiful, but so is city life.

o

All this about jd's comment... "Reliability and Quality must be pretty good then.Because there are a lot of GM vevicals on the road."

I'm not seeing what all the hostility is about myself. But I'm just another former dumb farm kid.

o

"most serial killers live or grew up in the rural environment."

Keep in mind that "serial killer" is, by definition, someone who comitted a crime and GOT AWAY WITH IT more than once.

Most of your inner-city types can't seem to manage that.

o

no offense to you but apparently the inner-city types are more capable to deal with others and interact with people outside of their family so the need to shoot 35 people and eat them isn't as important.

Additionally, in Canada folks who live in the city keep their doors unlock, etc.

let us stop the stereotype as for every example one can give why the city is bad, I can give an example why it is good. And the same for rural life - I can say bad for this and you can argue it is great for this.

If you haven't lived in both places for the same amount of time than it is wise we all shut up on this issue as it is a senseless argument. If I haven't driven every GM why should I comment all GM sucks and if you haven't driven every import than it is impossible to say they are low quality.

o

Washington, DC is the murder capital of the USA. As of several years ago, they had the highest murder rate of any large city in the USA (which isn't to say that the other large cities do not have a problem).

You can deny that there's a problem. But that's not what the statistics are showing.

The point about the serial killers, which you seem to have missed, is that serial killers are one of the few intelligent criminals, capable of getting away with the crime time after time. Perhaps that is why they garner so much attention--they are truely not the norm as far as criminality goes.

On the subject of criminality and intelligence, studies have shown that many criminals suffer neurological impairments which affect their intelligence and the ability to control their impulses, often from causes such as lead poisoning.

o
By the way

I can guarantee you that there will be more murders in inner-cities today than there will be cases of serial killers in rural areas eating 35 (or any number of) people all year.

o

***I can guarantee you that there will be more murders in inner-cities today than there will be cases of serial killers in rural areas eating 35 (or any number of) people all year.***

But of course.... +/- 10 million people living in NYC compared to 2,500 in a small town. Over 90% of the murders are committed by people that know the victims so it is not like a majority of the murders are committed by nuts running around killing people that they do not know.

The most recent case from an agricultural town ---Marcus Wesson, 58 of California is convicted of killing 9 kids.

"The slayings were the worst murder case ever seen in this agricultural town in the heart of California's Central Valley." -AP

What better place to conduct 'weird' activities (polygamy) than in a rural area? No one knows what's going on. I live in a burb of a large city and my NOSY neighbors know my EVERY move. You think I can sneak someone in without someone noticing?

o

Actually, I was comparing ALL large cities to ALL rural areas. I wasn't comparing a single large city to a single rural area; that would make no sense.

In terms of murders per 100,000 population, large cities have a higher murder rate than rural areas. This way of expressing the murder rate, in terms of murders per 100,000 population, makes the data equally applicable to all cities and towns regardless of size.

In 2002, Washington, DC:

264 murders (46.2 per 100,000)
(that's about 1 murder per 2165 residents per year)
Nearly every single rural area (in Virginia) I checked save for one had a murder rate of 0 per 100,000. That one which had a higher murder rate was 6 per 100,000--and that was due to a single murder in a small town.

A rural area with a population of 10,000 or so would need about 5 murders per year to have the same murder rate as DC.

I attached the site where I got the murder rate statistics below. It doesn't have the crime rates for some cities, but for most it does.

Here is a link that might be useful: City Data

o

I don't think of farming as manual labor. You either sit at a desk, or sit in a tractor, not much difference. Back when I was a teenager we bailed hay, that was physical work, but almost nobody does that anymore, maybe the Amish. If someone wants to live in the city, great someone has to. I need to see the sun rise, and set. I have to be able to see the stars at night. Probably some people that live in the mountains, or by an ocean that think I am nut for living in the middle of Illinois. That I can understand.

I can't spell either. And I am not going to waste my time looking up every word, or somehow get a spellcheck for this forum. Life's too short.

Bob

o

Bob411 we still do some manual labor on our farms.Cleaning out bins,maintaining buildings,weeds and weed whackers seems to be a endless job this time of year.Tractor seats is just a portion of daily duties.However you are correct farming is less phisical work then it use to be. Thanks to things like RoundUP beans.Rather then spending the summer cutting weeds out of bean fields.Round bails of hay rather then square bails.However cows still eat hay these days.Machinery still breaks down and needs repaired.

As for murderes in cities vs rural areas?Im not sure how that came up.It happens out here from time to time.But not daily like in Chicago.As for murderes in California.I can see why in the land of Fruits and Nuts.Besides out there if your a celebrity you can get away with it.Murder and being a fruit and a nut.

o

buy one get one free how about GM?

o

In Pa farmers arent doing well, not paid enough..alot are selling out "thier"farms,we bought 2.My hubbys a builder and we drive a GM SUV,LOVE IT LOVE IT......Theres the other NASTY word here SUV...love it love it!!!!!!!and we didnt go to college.Started from the bottom worked up to owning own businesses and live in country we raise Registered Texas Longhorns so where does that put me????

o

outstanding in your field?

o

I found out one thing for fact here in ''Cow Town''This week alone.My parents decides they were ready for a new mini van.There in there mid 70's and farmed all there life and dad has worked off the farm also all his life to this day.There 1995 Astro van now has 96000 miles on it and is still in very good condition.But dads Cadilac a 1987 with 210000 miles is getting to the point where a 76 year old should be driving something a little more reliable.So moms Astro van is now dads work vehical.They sent me to get them a good deal on a new Buick Teraza.Brother to the Chevy Uplander.A good deal they recieved with the employee discount and they took delivery today.The local Cow Town Chevy Buick dealer sold 13 new vehicals last Satuday alone.His lot is looking bare plus many were brought in from the large towns. Located vehicals as was my parents Buick Teraza was located near Moline Illinois John Deere main headquarters.Probably also considered ''Cow Town''?If sales were this good in this "Cow Town"Amagine what probably happened nation wide?I feel GM will survive right along with the Country Boy.Mom and Dad said get us a good deal son.So we went to several dealer ships.We decided the larger towns the sales people were pushy not friendly and would tell you what you wanted to here.Problem was they were full of BS andwould not budge. They said GM locked us out?Yea Right!!!!So we came back to Cow Town got the dealer discount and did the old fashion haggle.Never paid the stupid city tax and saved some more money.All is well in ''Cow Town''.I can not type or spell but math is what matters in ''Cow Town''.We did the math in the City there numbers were way off.Funny how so many pay more then they have to in the City.

o

well sure it costs more in the city j.d., but we get a free latte with our car. and i kept the salesmans pen.

o

LOL Bill! yep, free lattes! And we also get cash rebates, 0% financing, etc ...

Oh and you'll really like this one. Many places here in the City of Yuppieville offer additional rebates for college graduates. ;-)

o

What are Lattes?

o

***We did the math in the City there numbers were way off.Funny how so many pay more then they have to in the City.***

I would much rather pay the city and have good roads, schools and all the modern conveniences. I got a free oil change w/ car my purchase. There are more competition in the city and therefore, the prices are probably lower in the cities than they are in small towns. All the dealers are willing to match the price.

o

Lattes are them $3/cup sissy-pants fancy coffees that yuppies drink!!!

o

Better roads?The city is pot hole paradise.Atleast Chicago why dont they build a house over that basement.

Better schools?We have nice schools out here these days.Also are kids dont bring guns and knives to shool for show and tell.They do not have to walk thru a metal detector to get to class.One free oil change LOL.They give you two years of free changes out here in ''Cow town''.One oil change Huh thats like what $18.00?The local Cow Town dealer sells cars to the people in Yuppie Ville.They have a bill board in Yuppie Ville that reads.Drive a little save a lot.They come to Cow Town population 4200 and get a better deal.Modern convinieces?Like what?I was able to get 300 channels on the dish in the early 80's.While my cable friends were getting 15.Huh and they thought I was a Hick!I can skinny dip in my pool in the broad daylight out here.Can you?Only thing we lack is brake shops.We get 60000 on a set of brake pads.Rather then 6000.We can drive 20 miles to work in 20 minutes rather then 2 hours.If we meet a car we wave.Also we carry a pepsi with us in the cup holder.Not that fancy coffee the Yuppies drink and spill on there sissy pants then try to sue Mc Donalds over.

o

Johndeere - just a reminder -
Columbine was not a city.
The shooting last year by the son of a sheriff was not a city.
The shooting down South a few years back at school was NOT in a city.

Your comment is ignorant!

o

Yea but those are only the ones you here about.Because they happened in smaller areas.That stuff happens all the time in Chicago I watch the news.

We do not have drive by shooting out here.We also do not have sirens blasting every 5 minutes.

Can you people have a conversation without calling someone ignorant or stupid or start in with your learn to spell BS?Your all a like you think your smarter then people in the rule areas.Every time you come back with a I am better then you comment.You help proove my point!!!!!!!!Im just a country person who calls them as I see it.Get use to it you can not win.

o

hey j.d. look me up if ever come to detroit, i`ll buy the latte`s. wear sissy pants, otherwise you stand out,when theres a drive by, dont want to be a target. we can check out the new honda pickups, then drive down to the kubota dealer, look over the lawn tractors. go pistons!

o

"Now, I'm not sure what the going rate is for truck drivers and construction workers in your area, but nationally the average wage for those jobs isn't that high. "
My husband has two business degrees. When he got out of college, he worked in management for a large corporation. What does he do now? He is a truck driver. Why? The money is good and there is a LOT less BS involved. He never has to bring his work home. He's home every night and actually has time for his family. BTW, with bonuses, profit sharing and 401K contributions, he makes almost 80K....not too shabby for a job where the national wage "isn't that high" And, NO, he never goes over hours....there is a computerized system in the cabs and if you go over hours..you will be TERMINATED..no questions asked...

o

The moderator should move most of this to another thread : city living vs country living...

So the car-makers produce a nice clean safety-mobile which I cannot begin to afford, nor need , even if the discount is 50%!!!!

The $1,780 new Volkswagen - now that was affordable..Back then, I think a new Cadillac was but four to five grand - when Caddys were the standard of the world..

o

***My husband has two business degrees. When he got out of college, he worked in management for a large corporation. What does he do now? He is a truck driver. Why? The money is good and there is a LOT less BS involved.***

My bro's college pal makes $50K a year and drives all over the country and is only home two days a week. My cousin who just got his CDL and is making $35,000 a year living in NYC and is working locally. His friend (operator of truck company) makes $100K a year but he also has to make payment to his $100,000 truck, pay his own insurance, his own fuel, etc. I agree that the national average for truck trucking is shabby, not to mention time away from home and the stress dealing w/ safety on the roads and the hazards. If you get several tickets, you get suspended so I am not sure how that is not stressful. You have to be alert all the time and deal with the BS on the roads. I drive 14 miles to and from work and I can fully understand why road rages occur. People drive like idiots!

o

Driving a truck is like many other jobs. You have to work your way up. When he first started driving, he was over the road and the money wasn't that great. The company he works for now has very stringent qualifications. 5+ years of error free driving. No accidents, moving violations, or tickets. It helps if you have a contact in the company that has had a working relationship with you that will vouch for your professionalism and work ethic. It is also a very physically demanding job. He and his codriver touch every piece of freight they haul. Most drivers wouldn't do that. And he drives most of his routes in rural New Hampshire and Maine in the wee hours of the morning...Not many folks on the road.

o

"You have to work your way up."

That's news to some job applicants, especially the ones who think that a 4-year degree makes them worth a high salary despite the fact that they have NO experience.

o

Funny! When I was in college, I remember my marketing professor asking what people expected to make in marketing when they got out of college. The first guy said 45K. This was 1985...everyone (but him) got a good laugh:))))

o

***The $1,780 new Volkswagen - now that was afordable..Back then, I think a new Cadillac was but four to five grand - when Caddys were the standard of the world..***

And weekly income was about $200 for a family.

***And he drives most of his routes in rural New Hampshire and Maine in the wee hours of the morning...Not many folks on the road.***

Except the moose. And they CAN do a number!

***"You have to work your way up."***

I'm beginning to believe that idea is gone from this country!

o

Working our way up is what we knew to do...sure didnt get it from our parents.If You want it, good at it go for it.Been in business 35 years ,It was worth all the sweat, hard work,tough times.Thats why I thoroughly enjoy all I have.Building is good here.We're BUSY...Hubby can do custom homes,pools,Agricultural buildings,modulars,all this makes it easy to earn money, all you need is the want to do it.Theres lots of work if you want to work.ONE MORE!!!!!!!!!JD I dont think you were winning here....like you thought

o

... I just wanted the #100 post.

ahem, carry on. ;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here