Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Math on a tachometer

Posted by kalining (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 30, 08 at 19:03

Maybe john or someone may remember. Please, anyone chime in. On an 8 cylinder Tach. connected to a 4 cylinder engine
do you multiply by 2 or devide by 2 ? I can't remember and i can't find my paper work. Thanks in advance.

greg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Math on a tachometer

It all depends o n where the tach is getting its trigger signal.

If the signal comes from a sparkplug lead, there may not be any change. Again, it all depends. These days on some 4 cyliner engines, only two spark colis are used; One coil fires two plugs simultaneously. One of the plugs is on a cylinder on its power stroke while its mate is on amother cylinder on its exhaust stroke.

If both cars has a distrubutor and the tach signal comes from a single coil that feeds all plugs, then the math is obvious. Again, it depends.

There is another situation: Some car engines now use individual coils mounted directly on each plug. The high tension lead of thje coil is not available, only the low tension side is available.

So, what to do? Hook up the tach to the 4 cylinder engine in the normal way. Listen to the engine idling - does it sound near normal speed? If so, look at the tach. If the tach reads about half speed, say 400 rpm and you'd expect 800 rpm, multiply by 2, or move the selector switch to register the correct speed. My very old fashioned tach has a selector switch for 4, 6, and 8 cylinders and expects to see pulses from s single coil feeding all sparkplugs. It was made before auto engines began using one coil to fire two plugs simultaneosuly.

The technique of firing 2 plugs with one coil has been used by 4 cylinder motorcycles for many years. It was in comon use in the 1970s. This eliminates the need for a distributor.

I'm afraid this has not been helpful since I need much more information to give you the correct answer. Yah, I know, it all depends!

o
RE: Math on a tachometer

4 cylinders on one coil with points. Single points. I think it is 4 pulses on two crank rotations means i multiply by 2 ? I get 400 on the tach and i think the engine is doing 800. awful slow 800 though. I don't hold too much faith in the tach either. It's a cheap piece of junk. Can't get a steady needle. jumps all over the place.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here