SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lillie97

Random no start

lillie97
18 years ago

I hope someone can offer a suggestion as to what might be wrong with my car. I just got it back from my mechanic who can't figure out exactly what's wrong.

I'll start at the beginning. About a month ago I made a stop on my way home from work. My car was turned off about five minutes. When I got back to the car, it started but quickly sputtered out and then would only turn over, but not start. I called my mechanic the next morning for a tow and when he called me later he said that when the tow truck driver got to my car he was able to start it right up. My mechanic checked out the car but could find nothing wrong with it.

Two nights ago I had a repeat. I ran into the mall for approximately 30 minutes and when I got to my car it wouldn't start. Remebering what had happened before, I waited about 45 minutes and tried again and it started. The only thing I noticed was a loud squeal/screech when I pressed on the accelerator which lasted for only 2-3 minutes and then the car ran fine.

So, I took my car in to my mechanic today and they did a thorough going-over and again found nothing wrong.

My mechanic thinks it could be either a bad fuel pump or a problem with some kind of "coil" (I can't remember exactly what he said). But he couldn't say for sure.

Since he's not positive and I can't afford to fork out money for a repair that's only a guess, I don't know what to do. I don't want to be left stranded again.

Can anyone suggest what might be wrong with the car? It's a 1998 Ford Contour with 69,000 miles on it.

Thanks!

Comments (11)

Sponsored