Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Avalon Power Steering Pump

Posted by mzdee (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 10, 05 at 16:30

My 97 Avalon power steering pump is leaking. The Dealer will charge 700 to replace. Another reputable shop will charge half that to rebuild, but will take 2 days. The Avalon has 70K on it and I plan to keep it until it runs no more. What avenue should I take?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Avalon Power Steering Pump

I still cannot understand why the dealers charge so much more than the independents..A 20% spread I can see...
Maybe it is the high cost of health care..
Auto mechanics do not have an easy task, they must be well compensated..
Parts do take time to secure - the dealer may have the parts already - but this is costly overhead, and he has plenty of that..

Litigation hurts all of us..one reason why the dealers charge so much more, but this scourge also hurts the indies......The dealer uses OEM parts, which may carry a longer warranty...

o

$700 buys an awful lot of power steering fluid.

How bad is the leak?

o

how bout a used pump from a low mileage wreck? i think the camry uses the same pump.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here